"Mint condition"

PNSSHOGUN

I have seen "mint" used alot in Gunto, often fairly questionably, however this is the most perfect condition high quality Type 94/98 I have ever seen listed or published. The description translation states it was owned by "Imperial army General Prince Asaka Yasuhiko possession".

See for yourself: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/x639040421

post-3926-0-20073900-1565271727_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The wiki seems confused, the introduction states this "He was a perpetrator of the Nanking massacre in 1937 but was never charged." but further down . .

"The order may have actually been issued, allegedly without the Prince's knowledge or assent, by Lieutenant Colonel Isamu Chō. He was a known radical ultra-nationalist staff member of the Central China Area Army who may have released the order under the sign manual of Asaka."

anyway, with anything in military collecting, buy the piece not the story.

• Like 1

IF the Prince Asaka Yasuhiko piece was ever engaged in battle it's condition is miraculous.   The owner most likely saw the battle, he didn't participate. 

-S-

Maybe it was carried around in a gun case. :laughing:

Seriously,.dont know much about these fittings but this looks like it was put together and left in a box in the attic.

• Like 1

Just looking at the mon of Prince Asaka Yasuhiko and had a quick look on-line for mon under his name. Found this (1930s) on worthpoint. It is the same as the one on the sword. Interesting that his mon is 'hishi' (diamond) shape. I always thought these 'hishi' kiku-mon are the shape of 'non-royal' members/relatives of the Imperial family.

Here also is one on a sword of mine (wonder who he was and if it is true about the 'hishi' non-royal mon?). Time for Bruce to look into it I think!

Regards,

post-470-0-63692000-1565338003_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-35748300-1565338369_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if this was ever even mounted with a sword.

It will have been fitted to a blade, the question would be what kind of blade, new made for the occasion, or an old high status piece with a number of different mounts.

You get Western swords made for high ranking and Royal status officers that are in even better condition, and older in date. It all depends on use, abuse, preservation and maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking at the mon of Prince Asaka Yasuhiko and had a quick look on-line for mon under his name. Found this (1930s) on worthpoint. It is the same as the one on the sword. Interesting that his mon is 'hishi' (diamond) shape. I always thought these 'hishi' kiku-mon are the shape of 'non-royal' members/relatives of the Imperial family.

Here also is one on a sword of mine (wonder who he was and if it is true about the 'hishi' non-royal mon?). Time for Bruce to look into it I think!

Regards,

George, I'm going to kick this one back to you, my friend! You clearly know more about mon already than I will ever know! Ha! I've done some digging in the past, and it seems like a difficult area to study for a non-Japanese speaker. Not much English based data on them.

A pretty good Lt General sword. With provenance AND a Muromachi blade.

Neil, very interesting kabutogane - with drilled out "loops" in the design!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..