What school is this interesting tsuba?

Surfson

Henry,

In reference to your charming little love note, we must stop meeting like this.  I'm well aware of the number of times I used 'like' and of my emphasis on "feelings", both were intentional, think of them as your Wagnerian leitmotifs.  These themes were interjected into a post to fuel your totally spurious argument, making the post all about YOU, if it is so important your welcome to it.  Whatever this curious obsession of yours is, I suggest you drop it, your calling negative attention to yourself.  Since you seem incapable of controlling yourself allow me to help you, respond in anyway you like to my future posts, but do not attempt to engage me... I will not respond.   Continue trying to sell your 'joke' story', I know exactly what you are.

-S-

Following this discussion I’ve got the notion that the mixing of differnent stylistic devices becoming popular in the late Edo-period makes it impossible to pin down a special school.

So take it as it is -  a piece of real art work which show the high levelled quality of this unknown artisan concerning both artistic and technical skills.

Florian

• Like 1

Monty Python is alive and well. May I ask that if we are going to turn things into an argument, that we at least keep it witty and not personal?

As always, these kinds of threads (confrontational) also end up being the most educational. Just wish we could learn more of the "I disagree with you, but respect your right to your opinion"
No need for things to get this way folks...it's all just pixels and bytes.

• Like 5

Monty Python? I hope at least I am the “Life of Brian” part of the analogy... (there’s me joking again ????)

Henry,

This happens to ALL of us, with regularity, that is the nature of this place....free sharing, expounding, and exploring ideas.

-S-

For what it’s worth, some members ride on the fumes of others, meaning they sit back, read and then post an opinion based on what was said by more lucid members, and then worst of all claim the information as their own with no acknowledgements.

So it’s not so much about pixels and bytes but more about Ps and Qs, the ownership of knowledge and plagiarism.

Again, no hard feelings, I just hate being bullied.

✌️

• Like 2

Henry,

I posted my opinions, sorry they don't align with yours, but I welcome and defend everyones right to share them, including yours. You don't have to see the point of my opinions, nor I yours....unless I'm missing something.   I didn't realize MNB, was a contest, thank you for enlightening me. I'll skip returning the bazaar psychobabble even though it's tempting.  Pity, another thread, needlessly interrupted by petty grievances, this time could have been put to much better use.

I bullied you?   Reread your posts, you are the one who initiated and continued this incident.   You and I know that THIS has nothing to do with your claim of plagiarism.  I will not stoop to your snide insults, but will offer my sincerest sympathy instead.   Your accusations of my need for dominance, are concerns that fill your mind, not mine.  I have no desire to conquer or dominate here, my only want is to share in this fine community, unmolested.   I've included the above quote to remind you of my attempt to quell this nonsense, since my comment was repackaged and used by another....should I exclaim plagiarism?   Absurd, that is not the spirit of this place.  Out of respect for Brian and this place, I will not respond to you again, enjoy this last petty victory.   I have no interest in you, or what you have to say.   Since self control is impossible your campaign must continue without me, best of luck with your ongoing smoke and mirrors act.

-S-

p.s.-If you were entirely free of plagiarism here, by your singularly liberal definition, which you are not..... I would take things to heart.

Are we done with this now? Can we carry on and discuss the tsuba?
The next person who posts in this thread anything personal or off topic will earn themselves a few days off the forum. I allowed right of reply. Now we are DONE. Don't tempt me..anyone.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This is an example from Christies auction 11/11/2008 lot 192 tsuba is labeled Mito.

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/arms-armor/a-group-of-twenty-four-tsuba-edo-period-5143818-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5143818&sid=6bd6c67b-3918-461e-9b49-33ca092107c4

Also was always curious about this other tsuba having identified the same mentioned schools as possible suspects post-23-0-14214200-1566682830_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Ken, that is the closest we have come to something with the same shape.  Too bad they don't state the dimensions.  Mito is one that has not been mentioned in the thread but does make sense considering the inlay work.  Since that was a large lot of tsuba, I'm guessing that it came off the top of the head of the appraiser doing the listing.  What I like about the call is that this example has the tempo feel that mine has.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..