Need translation help on my friends sword, its old and its authentic.

Gbolor

It's not the type of thing anyone with a genuine interest in nihonto would enjoy looking at, on the contrary.   The tsuba is terrifying, one of the ugliest objects I can recall seeing in recent memory.   If your friend has any aspirations of acquiring a genuine sword, I'd suggest he rids himself of this unfortunate distraction.    If he has no real interest in Nihonto, but feels compelled to display this....a poorly lit wall, shelf, or corner would be ideal.

-S-

• Like 2

Fittings aside, the lack of work and aged rust on the nakago and sloppy signature are big red flags. As said a very obvious modern fake.

Depending on the balance it can be fun for slicing air in the back yard. Never try to cut anything harder then air when the workmanship is questionable.

Omar,

what if the blade goes flying because of the poor workmanship of the handle? There are terryfying videos of this on YouTube. My advice: bury it deep, or have a new handle made for TAMESHIGIRI. Of course, you never know what the blade itself can stand!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..