What do I have here?

rk6000

I recently purchased this Samuari Sword at a local estate auction. Is this the real deal? Any help on translation or history would be more than "Greatly Appreciated"

I have found similar swords on the internet but nothing exactaly the same as mine (see photos)....

Thanks,

Rob

(Edited by Admin - individual kanji shots deleted in favor of overall shot below)

I've got the beginnings of it, but someone will fill the rest in shortly, I should imagine.

What I can see is Seki-Ju, Nani(?)kawa Mura, Yoshihisa

I.E. a smith called Yoshihisa who lived/worked in Seki. Can't read the name of the local village, though.

PS Oops, Rich got there first! (So did Stephen...)

Rob,

No, that is a painted military marking, found on many WW2 swords and of no real significance. An arsenal stamp will be small and stamped above the signature near the top. Not always there either.

There is no set pattern for WW2 furniture. Can have a lock or not, variations in tsuba and all the other parts. Lots of different variations, but still standard WW2 Shin-Gunto.

I expect your will be more mass produced and oil quenched.

Regards,

Brian

Rob,

We haven't seen any overall pics of the sword yet, maybe with handle on and off, and showing the blade condition and any visible hamon. Helps to give an idea of value. Keep the pics 100dpi or less, and 800 pix wide or less (around 150k per pic) and we will be able to tell more.

I expect if a standard WW2 Shin Gunto in fair condition..around $600-800 with a lot of depending factors.

eBay..or an ad in the for-sale section here maybe? Or sell on consignment through one of the dealers in the links page, such as http://www.japanesesword.com/ or others.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..