Sword registration card question.

I (noob) just have a quick question I was hoping I could get help with. From what I can gather a Japanese sword registration card is required to import/export a Japanese sword in or out of Japan, but its only for real nihonto. I see Japanese sellers online post pictures of the cards and they say that they will send a copy with the sword to the buyer. Does having a sword registration card (Torokusho) prove a swords legitimacy? Could Gemini swords and fakes still have a card? Is a NBTHK certificate the only thing that you can trust?

Thanks

The card has nothing to do with authenticity regarding a makers name on the sword. It is just a legal registration with the Japanese government.

It has negligible value to us in America. Papers from NBTHK, NTHK, NTHK-NPO, and Fujishiro are meaningful.

• Like 1

The toroku is about registration and as has been explained it is not at all a document of authentication. BUT, when you export a sword - ie. like bring it to the US - you are supposed to turn the registration card in. Blades with card in this country either have a COPY - - or they were improperly exported!

Peter

Could Gemini swords and fakes still have a card? Is a NBTHK certificate the only thing that you can trust?

Thanks

Replicas, model swords, and other non-authentic Japanese swords will not be registered. 

As above, the registration certificate only implies that the authorities think it is an antique Japanese sword. It is not a certificate or guarantee of authenticity/antiquity. 

Lately we've seen a couple of instances where the authorities carelessly (presumably) register non-traditionally made WW2 swords. In the past this wouldn't have happened, as WW2 swords were considered to be without artistic merit. I don't know if their standards are changing, or if the current generation of sword-registrars are just not as careful as the previous generation. Could be a bit of both. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I've seen a copy of aTorokusho card exported on just one sword I bought from Japan. I think the registration card is important for shinsakuto especially ones made by famous smiths because it contains the date of manufacture so any question of authenticity are easily confirmed.

I have an early postwar shinsakuto with what I believe to be a hand written Torokusho registration number for Tokyo on an old NBTHK paper. Can I trace the date it was registered?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..