Netsuke Mei 高次?

Bugyotsuji

Steven, in this case I do not think context will help. Cockerel on a drum, a fairly popular theme in J art around Bakumatsu and early Meiji. Black wood with silver fittings, rather worn and difficult to shoot.

Just trying to track down the Netsuke-Shi, who may not actually be recorded. :)

post-416-0-84452600-1563032790_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-78999400-1563032847_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-96942900-1563032898_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the Pics.   Actually Piers, context is always important, after a direct listing becomes elusive.  We should always remember that many artist used contracted signatures, even though a record may not exist.   Considering style, age, material, can help us eliminate, or entertain the aforementioned possibilities.  Nice piece BTW.

-S-

• Like 1

Thanks, Steve, yes, and many artists had two or three signatures. This one does have something about it, but I am floundering at the moment. I gave this a whirl about six months ago and gave up, but second time lucky? The answer may lie in carving school and signature style.

• 4 weeks later...

Just posted this over on the INS forum:

“Trying to get my thoughts in order here.

Just had a sort of potential follow-up breakthrough on this, thanks to ‘George’ on another site. Lazarnick mentions a ‘Takaharu’ skull, which the MCI actually illustrates, in some kind of dark word, but it notes that the reading might be a mistake, that ‘Takatsugu’ might be correct.

Looking through Lazarnick under both 高 and 髙 (different versions of the same kanji) we can see a school of Netsuké artists such as Takaaki, student of Masaaki (Ishiguro), working in both gold and silver, and in a mixture of metal and wood/antler etc. Takaaki and Masaaki also sometimes used a similar-looking seal form of signature.”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..