Yasukuni in Mino??

mdiddy

To start, I want to state that I may try and sell this katana. I'm not a regular trader, but I do sell swords from time to time.

The katana in question confuses me. I read the mei as "Mino (no) Kuni ju Yasu Kuni Saku" (see attachment) which would suggest that Yasukuni from Mino made the blade. Easy enough, but here are additional facts I'm trying to reconcile:

1. When purchased, the blade was in Shin Gunto mountings and the rusting on the tang seemed in order with Showa period (i.e. not heavy, no very dark iron, etc).

2. I do not know of any other mei's from Showa period starting "Yasu" save those of the Yasukuni shrine where one smith was known to sign "Yasukuni".

3. Comparing to a "Yasukuni" mei from the site http://www.jp-sword.com/files/yasukuni/yasukunito.html (page devoted to NTK) yields differently shaped kanji and location on the tang, however, the yasurimei near the mune-machi look identical (may not be evident in my pics).

4. The hamon on the katana looks suguha with ashi to me.

5. Yasukuni shrine is ~150mi from Gifu (modern-day Mino)

All of this adds (or rather doesn't add) up in my mind to probable gimei. But gimei of WWII smithing during the same time period the smithing was going on? Were the smiths at Yasukuni already recognized for their talent during the time period? I don't get it. Is there an older Yasukuni from maybe Shinshinto? Have I incorrectly translated the kanji? Please help. All insight is greatly appreciated.

Hello Matt,

First of all, the kanji for Yasu which was used by the smiths who worked at the Yasukuni shrine is another one then is iscribed on your sword.

I have looked in my library for a smith who worked in the Showa period and signed with Yasukuni using the kanji on your sword, the only smith i could find was a smith who worked as a Rikugun Jumei Tosho.

His name was Takeshita Yasukuni.

I don't know if this smith had made your sword, but perhaps you can look for information on the web for this smith.

With regards,

Jos Bonsel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..