Hidden shop

Ooitame

Hi all, on vacation spotted a small Asian antique shop and dropped in. The owner was very nice. He was getting ready to close, but gave us a full tour, even the restoration rooms. Off to the side in one of the rooms not open to the public I spotted this pair. It spoke to me so I bought them. I was told it is mainly ivory and some bone. As I am completely ignorant

of the arts I could use the opinions from the board if you please.

Edit- apologizes for the two sideways pics I could not get them to rotate.

post-4353-0-77089100-1562375497_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-81107900-1562375584_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-41615500-1562387696_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-81003100-1562387776_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Eric,

Nicely done panels, these date from the late Meiji to Taisho periods.  This style of work became so popular that the sources are many, both Shibayama family members and official school affiliates produced pieces, as well as scores of artisans with no connection to either.   You should place a photo of the inlaid seal in the translations section, it may turn up something relevant.   Also, I wonder if the frames are original?   They look as if they could be replacements necessitated by damage, or by the cutting down of the panels from a larger work.

-S-

• Like 1

Thanks Steven, I have posted the seals for translation. These measure 15 1/2" x 22 1/2". Was wondering about the frames myself. However, I was pleased to find such tall and expressive inlays that I am ok with it either way.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..