tsuba mei translation

stenbar

Could someone give me your thoughts on this tsuba? Craftsman's name, school, era etc... It is NBTHK Hozon certified.

I'm a new collector and this one was just too pretty to pass up. I haven't seen copper tsuba with carvings this deep. One thing is strange - the dragon has 3 toes/claws on the front and 5 on the back. From what I read, this is a sign that it could be an imperial dragon. Any thoughts? PS - Thanks for the suggested reading list on your site, I've ordered a couple.

post-975-14196749600037_thumb.jpg

post-975-14196749600996_thumb.jpg

Thanks Piers - so far so good. This was the propaganda surrounding it:

signed Ishiyama Motoshige. Motoshige was a Goto School craftsman, one of the greatest craftsman in Japan... I believed he lived in the mid 1600's.

Can anyone confirm this?

Ah, Motoshige, yes, right, well, egg on my face again! That second kanji had me puzzled at that distance. :clap: If you have the paperwork then it should tell you exactly that!

One pawn sacrificed... 8)

To add to the picture of who the man was... the following is from Haynes; with some added speculation on my part. :idea:

Mototada was also a painter, something which may have added to his design abilities. He was schooled in metalwork by the Kyoto branch of the Goto family and other Kyoto studios. I get the impression of someone somewhat outside of the mainline school system therefore. He inherited his father rank of 3rd level court noble ( Kuge ), perhaps this allowed him a certain freedom in moving between schools etc.

This type of bold and sweeping kata-kiri work is more likely influenced by the Yokoya lineage, Somin being credited with the invention of the technique. Many other artists used the technique subsequently but this does have a strong Somin look to my eye.

Some clearer, and larger images would allow for a better assessment of the quality of the work but it seems to me to reasonably good, as one would expect.

Regards, Ford

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..