Was hoping to find out more about a blade that was give to me

Cvzarms

Thank you for the information on this blade, now knowing what it is and doing a little research I think I would like to have it worked on by a pro to bring it's beauty out. Is there anyone you guys could recommend and would it be worth it or will I have more money into it than it's worth? I am a professional gunsmith and have done restorations on antique firearms so I appreciate that restoring a sword would require a trained professional swordsmith as that is an art all it's own

• Like 1

This is a topic that has been covered many times on this forum, but let me summarize. Just because you have a signed blade doesn't mean that it's authentic - I've heard numbers like 70% of all signed blades are gimei. Then, you need to consider whether it's in good-enough condition to polish. I see some small "nail-biters" on the cutting edge, which would be repaired during polishing, so on to that.

First, you're looking at up to $100/inch for a polish. Second, you can't leave a newly-polished blade without any protection from the elements, so you're then looking at several hundred dollars for a habaki, which will hold the blade in its new $500 wooden shirasaya. And you'll end up with a blade worth $1000, at best. There are lots of Kanbun Shinto blades out there!

How much money & effort would you want to put into restoring an old, weather-beaten Remington 700 that's been sitting in a barn for 50 years, Chris? My personal suggestion is to keep the blade as-is, & enjoy it as an old weapon of battle. Put some oil on the cutting surface (not the handle!) so that the weathering doesn't get any worse.

• Like 1

To ease-up Ken's comment a little (which is of course basically correct), you should have your blade checked by experts before any decision. There are renowned sword clubs and sword exhibitions near you, and they can help evaluating the blade. In the end it is an authentic piece of traditional arts and crafts from the SAMURAI era, and there is a chance, that it could be a very nice blade, even not regarding the authenticity of the signature. Should that be genuine (slim chance), you are quite a bit above $ 1.000.--.

In it's current condition, there is not so much to admire, so the blade will probably be neglected and not handled respectfully. Your idea of not trying a restoration yourself is a good one, as all amateur attemps will very probably ruin the blade. Besides that, the beauty of a Japanese sword blade can only be brought out by a traditionally trained polisher. 

Hi Christopher,

You could take your sword to the show in San Francisco this August.  Bob Benson, who is a classically trained polisher, will have tables there and he will be able to give you advice on whether to restore and what it would cost.  You will find dates and place on the Calendar on my website.

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/calendar-and-news

Grey

• Like 1

Hi Christopher,

You could take your sword to the show in San Francisco this August. Bob Benson, who is a classically trained polisher, will have tables there and he will be able to give you advice on whether to restore and what it would cost. You will find dates and place on the Calendar on my website.

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/calendar-and-news

Grey

Thank you for that, I may just drive up to SF and do that

You are a lucky man Christopher.  Without studying it, I like the look of that signature and wouldn't be surprised if it is a genuine Kanesada (also goes by Terukane).  He is a highly regarded smith and his swords are valuable.  I can't tell whether it is a short katana or wakizashi, which will affect the value.  If a katana, and if people studying the mei think that it is genuine, it could bring a couple thousand or more on a good ebay auction.   A bit less if it is a wakizashi.  Are you planning to sell it or do you want to restore it?   If the latter, Bob Benson is a good place to start since you can find him this summer in San Francisco.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for the reference material. It was given to me by a very close family friend, if it is worth restoring than that is what i would like to do, I don't think I would sell it regardless. The friend who gave it to me acquired it while stationed in Japan. He did say he had some kind of paperwork but couldn't remember where he had put it when he gave it to me or exactly what the paperwork was ( he's getting up there in age).

Hi Christopher, in my humble opinion if you want to spend your money on restoring this sword (regardless of its value, sentimental or otherwise) because in its restored state it will bring you even more pleasure than it does now then I would say that's money well spent.

Go with your heart and as you've already identified you will need a trained expert to polish. Personally I would stick with Japan for polishing as it's the birthplace of the sword. I can recommend Mr Kenji Mishina in Tokyo. If you would like further details please feel free to message me. I have no dealings with him other than having been a customer of his and have found him to provide an excellent service, although he does have quite a long waiting list. But then a sword which has already been here for several hundred years can probably wait a little longer for the right polish.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..