Umetada Tsuba

cdrcm12

Hi

Recently picked this Tsuba up and wondered if the work of Umetada? The wisteria pattern could be related to the Kuroda clan.

Gold and silver dew drops, some missing,on wisteria.

Tsuba dimensions 6.9cm X 6.6cm X 0.4cm.

Hopefully the images below will help. Any ideas on age or school would be welcome.

Thanks

Colin

post-4984-0-93281400-1560359856_thumb.jpg

post-4984-0-97496100-1560359911_thumb.jpg

post-4984-0-75400800-1560359955_thumb.jpg

post-4984-0-54574400-1560359979_thumb.jpg

post-4984-0-78943100-1560360003_thumb.jpg

post-4984-0-48929000-1560360026_thumb.jpg

post-4984-0-87381600-1560360051_thumb.jpg

i confess i do like your´s attribution!

however, the cutting edges do not really congrue to Umetada....least speaking to to first two generations...

( did you look for the sandai ? - in the Umetada Taikan....???)

"

( i do only have the NBTHK version of the first twoo....the Taikan about Umetada-Den Tsuba is worlds better! i but not longer have it here....)

( Jesper or Dan should but have it ? they both may maybe read this? and can help you? ) "

i do fully agree- composition is it, equally the open space and the general execution.

Tsuba´s general shape is unfortunately "considerably" worn- such speaking i can not date it....( needs restauration)

most probably ( if ? Umetada-den ) then latter.... ( due the lack of the typical smoothened carving)

or

Choshu... which is equally good...but not Umetada den, of course...

eitherway...

a nice exemplaire  - well done in studying it! :) !

worth to study it further...i do like it!

Christian

Christian,

Thank you very much for your comments. I don't have many reference books as yet, just starting out on the journey of discovery with fittings!

Any recommendations for the beginner?

I will look at the other schools as you suggest.

Thanks again

Colin

Hi Colin,

Tsuba references to recommend.  1st, everybody should be buying the 5 volume set being released serially by JSS/US and NBTHK American & European branches: Tosogu Classroom.  Once complete it will be well over 2,000 pages of study for less than $250.  If you search NMB for the title you should find ordering information.

A good book that covers most if not all of the schools, with clear photos and English captions is the 1975 edition of Tsuba Kanshoki by Torigoye:

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b823-tsuba-kanshoki-torigoye-1975

And there are so many other good to great tosogu references, but these 2 titles will give you a 1st class start.

Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..