Iron Tsuba Translation

cdrcm12

Hi,

This is my first post, been meaning to join for years!

I'm struggling to translate this mei, any help would be very welcome?

Have some doubts about authenticity of tsuba as well, but would welcome some expert advice please.

post-4984-0-20400800-1560011914_thumb.jpg post-4984-0-20718200-1560012019_thumb.jpg post-4984-0-95735000-1560012355_thumb.jpg post-4984-0-30681500-1560012437_thumb.jpg

Many thanks

Colin

藻柄子入道宗典製

Mogarashi Nyūdō Soten sei

江州彦根住

Gōshū Hikone-jū

Top one is the name, bottom one is the location of the artist. (Hikone city is located in what is nowadays known as Shiga Prefecture).

• Like 4

Steve, you are a life saver.  If we didn't have you and Nobody, we would be in deep trouble.  i still haven't forgotten your selfless and valiant work on the long cutting test and story on that Sendai blade and its box that I have.  Cheers, Bob

• Like 2

Its my pleasure. I'm constantly surprised by how good everyone is getting at reading these.

The 柄 in this one was the giveaway. 柄+子 could only be one person, so that told me what the rest of the mei should be. 

I'm also glad to see Moriyama-san come back. And Morita-san made an appearance the other day as well. Hope everyone is doing well. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction with this translation. The image is of Li Bai admiring the waterfall, a popular carving, it's not the 'normal' Soten design, would this tsuba be an early piece by Mogarashi or possibly a student ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..