Drawing Oshigata

Looks like a very good start. I still have to try that one day, though I think a photograph isn’t the best source as you can’t really be sure what is a reflection or an activity. But that looks great, really

• Like 1

Dear Chris.

Love it!  It is quite an experience and well worth doing even if the finished result is not as good as yours.  The process really makes you look at a blade in a way that nothing else does. To all those who have thought of doing this I would recommend trying it even if you are not confident in your artistic abilities.   As Anthony suggest a frame is a good idea, when you do your own swords you have something to keep even when the sword leaves your collection.

Keep up the good work!

All the best.

• Like 1

Thanks all. The oshigata is made with a wacom pencil tablet. Not the classic way with pencil, cole and ricepaper like the ones from tsuruta san. My intend was to compare the blade with the oshigatas from Koto Kantei and Nihon Koto shi to find out a direction. For myself i think the nearest is a suriage muromachi mino mono o-wakizashi from Kagemitsu. 

• Like 3

Hi Ken

you are on the right way. After that i look on the blade and paint all that parts i didnt see on the photos. The photo gives you the correct shape of the blade.

I see a lot of details that i not really notice by only enjoying the blade. If you try to paint you see much more and you remember it. I think i have found for myself a good way to study nihonto.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..