Screws

https://www.ebay.com/itm/wwII-Japanese-Army-officer-sword-ORIGINAL-SCREW-gunto-old-antique-part-L1/113447289924?hash=item1a69fc4444:g:8QoAAOSwcN1aWSdO

There you go! Best I could find. Sadly from that samurai monkey guy.. so ugh. Probably shouldn't have. But its unfortunately all I found.. further proof of him parting out swords/parting together.

Check this thread, a couple of guys mentioned there, The_ozzy-samurai, and another. Might try DaveR also.

I have the same issue, the odd missing screw on Koiguchi. I have seen it suggested elsewhere that screws from spectacle repair kits/shops might fit. Someone else also mentioned that old Japanese screws tend to be BSA thread.

If you would like to restore it you should use this original screws. If you take another the screwhole will not fit longer with the original screws. Another collector later will than have a bigger problem.

• Like 2

The best way i think is to buy a lonley damaged saya to keep the parts. I bought two years ago one screw for $50 Dollar to complete a sword. 2 days later a saya with a big bent was sold with very nice fittings for $40. It is better to wait and look. If you want to spare money.

• Like 2

There are plenty of junk Saya on the market if you want screws or parts, though as expected the Japanese didn't standardise the screws so your mileage may vary.....

Exactly! A lot of stuff made in small workshops, and a lot of variation. Also worth remembering that Junk saya tend to get stripped before reaching the market (dealers are not stupid) and a good saya is no longer cheap.

• Like 1

I needed a couple last year, Identified the thread as 1/8 BSW from the remaining screws that were present on the saya and made two new brass screws.

I did no modification of exsisting threads (in either the fitting or saya) so if I'm lucky enough to find some original ones to fit they should simply screw in.

Being a toolmaker by trade it wasn't to difficult, I even marked them up a little so they looked the part after aging.

In the UK there doesn't seem to be a ready supply of junk saya's with fittings or I can't find any under £100+  :(

Mark

• Like 3

I needed a couple last year, Identified the thread as 1/8 BSW from the remaining screws that were present on the saya and made two new brass screws.

I did no modification of exsisting threads (in either the fitting or saya) so if I'm lucky enough to find some original ones to fit they should simply screw in.

Being a toolmaker by trade it wasn't to difficult, I even marked them up a little so they looked the part after aging.

In the UK there doesn't seem to be a ready supply of junk saya's with fittings or I can't find any under £100+  :(

Mark

You wouldn’t happen to make more, would you? I’m still looking for three of them. I found some that fit, but they aren’t brass.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..