Come sit, and have some Tea.

sabi

Evening everyone,

2019 has been a very busy year for me both personally and professionally. I've acquired (and subsequently released) the odd piece here and there, but sadly I haven't had much time to devote to write-ups.

In that spirit, I'd like to share two new chawan in a simple manner - the presentation side of each, what you'd see as a host of the gathering, and some whipped tea...

The full and warm aka-Raku is by Hon'ami Sokyu, and the robust, overpowering Iga is courtesy of Kojima Kenji.

I'd love to see some other bowls in action so please post 'em if you got 'em, and no worries if not...

"In my little hut,

Whether people come or not

It is all the same.

In my heart there is no stir

Of attraction or disgust."

post-2944-0-66044400-1559605963_thumb.jpg

post-2944-0-15732700-1559605979_thumb.jpg

post-2944-0-52926200-1559605999_thumb.jpg

post-2944-0-46219100-1559606011_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

This thread made me stop and take some time to make tea yesterday

Wonderful!  Had no idea I possessed that kind of motivational power   :laughing:

And that looks great Mark!  I like Ido bowls but sadly haven't picked one up yet, just too many other styles that are in front of it on my list.  I'll check here and there to see if I can get lucky on a good one, but the obsession these days is in finding a nice piece of Ohi ware.  

What kind of tea do you use?  Just curious, and it looks like you know your way around a chasen.

Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing!  

Florian,

Nonsense!  All that matters is that you're enjoying a hot cup of tea, and hopefully that time allows for you to shut off all the noise that seeps in from our everyday lives.  

And I quite like that steeping thing you have there!  Do you happen to recall what brand it is or where you might have gotten it?  The shape is great, really functional and the material (plastic?) is obviously much kinder to stonewares vs the usual metal mesh steepers around.

• Like 2

Evan,

I like to try different types of tea.  A few that I have tried are:

Kanbayashi brand from Japan Incense Co:   http://www.japanincense.com/index.html

They have several varieties of koicha and usucha.  All are pretty good and reasonable prices. 

Yuuki-cha:    www.yuuki-cha.com

They have organic matcha in several grades.  My favorite is from the Kirishima region.  Reasonable prices

A couple different teas from Matcha and More:    http://www.matchaandmore.com/ 

They have quite a few selections.  A little more on the expensive side.

And most recently (brand new purchase and the matcha in the Ido bowl) is from Maikotea:    www.maikotea.jp

Initial reaction is favorable.  If I may ask a favor, the one bit of information maikotea does not give is the name of the company that produced the tea.  I know you mentioned your wife is Japanese... would you mind asking her to translate the company name on the canister (in red) of the attached pic?  I would be most grateful.

Also attached... my modified "table style" corner of my sun room (with my Mishima bowl displayed) :)

post-391-0-01769600-1559767948_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-57259600-1559768026_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Florian,

Nonsense!  All that matters is that you're enjoying a hot cup of tea, and hopefully that time allows for you to shut off all the noise that seeps in from our everyday lives.  

And I quite like that steeping thing you have there!  Do you happen to recall what brand it is or where you might have gotten it?  The shape is great, really functional and the material (plastic?) is obviously much kinder to stonewares vs the usual metal mesh steepers around.

It is called "Mesh Stick Tea"

https://www.amazon.de/Mesh-Gr%C3%BCner-Tee-Green-Sticks/dp/B00RD87XD4/ref=sr_1_12?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1L9Z51WCOEC69&keywords=mesh+stick+tea&qid=1559769939&s=gateway&sprefix=mesh+stick+%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-12

Looked suspicious at first, but is quite good actually. The Yunomi was made by a german potter.

regards,

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..