Help with translations on antique swords and/or identification of swords

meandhim

post-4978-0-17682700-1559181517_thumb.jpgI have 3 Japanese swords. One of them is in a dark wood sheath with carved dragons. It has hand signed Japanese letters on the blade. The other 2 are in plain lighter wood sheaths and the since the fitting (I think it's called tang) is loose I was able to remove the handle where I found Japanese characters carved in the blade. I was not able to get under the handle of the smaller sword. Any help concerning translations or something about the swords would be very much appreciated.  I am new to this forum and I have added several pictures but I don't know if I did it correctly. Let me apologize in advance if I did something wrong. I'm always willing to learn and I do try my best. Thank you in advance.

post-4978-0-21275100-1559181240_thumb.jpgpost-4978-0-02981000-1559181252_thumb.jpgpost-4978-0-77259400-1559181263_thumb.jpgpost-4978-0-49512500-1559181286_thumb.jpgpost-4978-0-96990100-1559181301_thumb.jpg

Dear Judith.

Welcome.  Please add your name to your posts as we all do here.  And also please don't rest the swords on that stone floor.  So far one WWII sword, one Chinese reproduction and a wakizashi, the shorter sword.  Any signature on the tang for that one?

All the best.

Thanks to everyone for your quick replies. So I understand that the sword in the dark (dragon) sheath is a fake/reproduction. The middle one is a WWII sword (1943).

I couldn't find any markings on the shorter sword in the plain lighter wood sheath. It may be under the handle like it is in the middle one. If the blade on the smaller sword is made from Damascus and therefore not Japanese would it be American made? Are Wakizashi and Shirasaya names of swords?  

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to educate myself on this type of collectible and I promise not to rest them on the floor...Judith

Hello Judith,

There is a FAQ at the top of this web page that should contain links to glossaries and other sword-related topics. I think if you browse through those you can get yourself up to speed pretty quickly. 

In short

A wakizashi is a type of sword (sometimes called a "short sword"), that is between 30 and 60 centimeters. Samurai wore both a long and a short sword together as a pair. If there is a signature, it will be on the part inside the handle. Search around here, or on youtube, for hints on how to take the handle off if it is stuck. 

A shirasaya is a plain wooden scabbard, traditionally made out of a kind of Japanese magnolia tree. Swords are usually stored in this plain wooden scabbard. Swords are removed from the decorative lacquer scabbards, disassembled (the handle and parts taken off), and then the bare steel sword is moved to the plain wooden shirasaya for long-term storage. 

The damascus one (the one with the gold writing on the body of the blade) could be made anywhere. Often they are made in some factory in China, and they have random Japanese-like writing on them in order to make them look like Japanese swords. 

There are a ton of articles about care and handling on this site. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..