Two Part help

Stephen

First off the translation will be used on a consigned item coming up Sunday on Ebay

just to let you know in advance

first is the mei

Second has anyone ever seen a hole in a fuchi it does not look new and not drilled but rather punched, would this serve a purpose, water or other liquid drain? Thanks for taking the time to look and help.

post-21-1419674948807_thumb.jpg

post-21-14196749490188_thumb.jpg

post-21-14196749540202_thumb.jpg

Stephen,

That set is a beauty! I really like it. Pity about the hole, I doubt it is original and who knows what caused it? You should perhaps have a word with Ford to find out if damage like that can be repaired. Looks worth it.

Brian

Just a wild stab in the dark here : maybe the hole was made to keep the fuchi in place on a saya where it didn't fit 100% ? in a similar way that a mekugi-ana works ? That way the fuchi would still be able to be removed afterwards...

Like I said, just a wild guess :oops:

Guest reinhard
Pity about the hole, I doubt it is original and who knows what caused it?

After being exported to the West, many tosogu were transformed into objects of everyday use. I saw Fuchi/Kashira transformed into snuff boxes and others into ink bottles. Menuki were turned into brooches and cuff-links. BTW, this attitude has become popular again recently. The barbarians are proud to be recognized as such again (in every respect).

reinhard

I cannot read the first kanji of the art name on the right. (笹?,芒?)æ

Koichi san

could it be read Masa?

I am not sure about its reading, but it seems bo be a place name in Chiba-ken, not an art name.

Maybe Sasazutsumi (笹堤). :?:

Ref. http://www.museum.tokushima-ec.ed.jp/oh ... 30-004.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..