Help Identifying Sword (was told WWII?)

I bought this sword from a friend and was told it was a war bring back from his grandfather. I took it to a local antique shop that recommended I post it online and was told it was an old sword, but they couldn't identify any markings. The antique dealer thought it was handmade because of the hamon. I appreciate any information that can help me identify this sword. Thank everyone in advance for your help. The blade is sharp and in good shape. The rest of it has seen better days. It is missing some stuff also. I was told the wooden pin was replaced and am not sure the handle is the original.

Best Regards,

Mark

post-4975-0-20394200-1558959524_thumb.jpeg

post-4975-0-77996600-1558959527_thumb.jpeg

post-4975-0-31739900-1558959531_thumb.jpeg

post-4975-0-43726200-1558959534_thumb.jpeg

post-4975-0-89640300-1558959536_thumb.jpeg

post-4975-0-72451700-1558959539_thumb.jpeg

post-4975-0-96326800-1558959543_thumb.jpeg

Hi ?,

The signature is Bishu Osafume Sukesada and the date is, I think, Kyoroku Gannen Hachi gatsu Hi (a day in August of 1528, and I'm not sure about the gan part of gannen (1st year) so it may not be that year exactly).  Here is a care & etiquette brochure you need to read:

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm

Grey

• Like 1

Mark,

Many family blades were donated to the war effort, or bought by the govt. These were fitted out in either army or navy fittings, but they usually kept all or most of the "civillian" tsuka (handle). The saya (scabbard) was usually a wooden one covered in leather. Your ashi (belt hanger) is of the style used under a leather cover, so this confirms it. The tsuba and seppa (handguard and spacers) are WWII navy.

Some guys enjoy trying to refit a gunto to its original condition as much as possible. Others prefer to leave them as they are found. If you care to refit, there are guys who can rewrap the handle for you. Prices seem to be around $200 for that. Leather covers are findable, but the odds of getting one to fit perfectly are hit-and-miss.

• Like 1

Yes, you all got the right translations

備州長船祐定

Bishū Osafune Sukesada

享禄元年八月日

Kyōroku Gannen Hachigatsu-no-hi (a day in August, 1528)

Edit: Actually I'll pull my punch a bit on the year...It could be 元, 二, or 三. So either 1528, 1529, or 1530. It looks like the right size for 元, but the two downward strokes are hard to make out. On the other hand, it could be a 二 or 三, but then the balance looks funny. I think 元年 (1528) is right, but I leave the door slightly open for some doubt. 

Thank you very much for this information. I am very excited about all this new information and have already ordered a care kit. I will be sure to carefully read the brochure before I do anything. I am amazed at the knowledge everyone has about this sword.

Best Regards,

Mark

I would advise to clean the blade using oil and a microfiber cloth only, no uchiko from the cleaning set unless absolutely needed and only if it is good quality. Most cleaning set uchiko is low quality and bad for the blade.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Best advice I can give you is go slow.  Beginners always want to rush into everything: polish, restoration of the mounts, papering, and more.  If you 1st take time to learn something your sword will still be there (nothing needs to be done right now) and you'll be better pleased with what you have done if it is done from knowledge (safer for the sword this way also).

Grey

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..