Netsuke evaluation

yamabiru

My friend is selling these netsuke and needs to know what you all think.

Is it possible to tell from pics if they’re ivory?

And if possible approximate value.

I’m not looking for exact figures but close assumptions.

They were purchased in NY about 30 years ago and not cheaply he said.

Guesses are welcome!

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

post-3992-0-73334000-1557667646_thumb.jpeg

post-3992-0-51456100-1557667662_thumb.jpeg

post-3992-0-36827100-1557667678_thumb.jpeg

post-3992-0-97694100-1557667691_thumb.jpeg

post-3992-0-10415600-1557667710_thumb.jpeg

post-3992-0-47455700-1557667724_thumb.jpeg

Good afternoon Yamabiru san,

One very basic clue is to look at the "Himotoshi" holes.

On pre - modern Netsuke, which were carved for use, not display, if they have carved holes, and not exploiting a natural feature of the object, then one hole is usually larger than the other, to accommodate the Himo cord, from which the various forms of Sagemono could be hung.

As with all things, there are exceptions........... :)

Also, I was told that many ivory Netsuke were carved in China, for export from Canton, to Japan, to cater for the burgeoning tourist trade during the late Meiji / early Taisho era.

• Like 2

Dear Yamabiru-san,

I agree with the other comments above and will add the following.  With the current view towards modern ivory carvings (and to a large extent even antique ivory carvings), these kinds of modern netsuke have lost considerable value (even if they are "Grandfathered in" under the law by being older than the threshold date required).  Good, antique, collectible netsuke are a lot like great nihonto and can go for thousands of dollars (and even hundreds of thousands for rare pieces).  However, the type of netsuke that you have shown are modern tourist pieces that used to sell in tourist shops and jewelry stores for around $300 - $800, but they are now readily available for about $100 on the internet (and are a lot more like the modern "Samurai Swords" that are sold in some knife shops in some countries).

Unlike collectible, antique netsuke, the signatures on these do not matter, so no need to try to track down the artist for each piece.  There are some modern netsuke carvers who are very collectible (e.g., Ford Hallam's brother Clive Hallam), but your friend's netsuke aren't by any of the good netsuke artists.

To identify elephant ivory, you should look for Schreger Lines which appears as intersecting arches or "cross-hatchng" in the ivory (see picture below).  These lines may only show up in certain places on the piece.  Other "ivory" (e.g., walrus tusks, mammoth ivory, antler, etc.) may appear like elephant ivory but generally will not have Schreger Lines.  There are lots of fake netsuke made of resin (some are even very old), so some collectors use the "hot needle test".  I don't recommend that test, but if the netsuke is low quality and probably fake, then there is little harm... Use a lighter to heat up a needle to red hot and touch it on an inconspicuous part of the netsuke (e.g., inside the himotoshi or rope hole) - if it melts, it's plastic.

Sorry to say it, but I think that your friend would be lucky to get $100-200 for each piece today.

post-852-0-58237200-1557698269_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and educated replies!

I greatly appreciate the time you took to do so.

I’m very happy to learn from you all and hope to have more questions for you in the near future.

Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..