Mumei wakizashi, possible Sendai Kunikane school

SAS

I bought this sword recently; it had some condition issues, but the price was tempting. After some cleaning I was able to see some features that lead me to Yamato den, Hosho or Sendai Kunikane school as a provisional identification. My photos do not really show the features well that led me to this idea; i will try to get better ones.

Nagasa 49 cm, motohaba 3 cm, sakihaba 2 cm, chu kissaki 3 cm, nakago 13.5 cm, nakagojiri iriyamagata, sujikai yasurimei with kesho, chu suguha hotsure hamon, ko maru boshi, masame jigane (hard to see) steel whitish in ko nie deki, nijuba, uchinoke, and hakikake visible. One small ware in ji, pitting in monouchi and kissaki, pitting/possible kirikomi on mune.

I am thinking it may be middle generation Sendai Kunikane school based on the attributes and the shape of the nakagojiri,mid to  later Shinto. Please share your thoughts, especially Peter.

post-1752-0-06385600-1557437349_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-82611700-1557437372_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-34189600-1557437393_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-40824600-1557437419_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-51240100-1557437478_thumb.jpg

Steve, I think you have the era correct, shape and stoutness of the blade say Kanbun era or around there to me.

As a masame hada lover, I would love to see the grain on this one, but I can't in the pictures. I know how hard it is to capture for sure! So I can't offer any real input as to Kunikane work.

• Like 1

Well, gee. As Jeremiah said, we really need better information on the hada. Pending that, I would respectfully endorse your assessment. Still, there are a couple of factors that suggest it is NOT a Sendai shinto. If you are seeing real nijuba, that would point me to koto Yamato den. And the nakago does not look like Kunikane style, It could be cut down, of course, but the file work looks,  ahhh, relaxed. Also it looks like the blade has been substantially thinned. Pre-shinto, mebbe???

Cries for shinsa.

And Thanks.

P

• Like 2

The yasurimei has kesho, which is a Shinto trait as far as I know, and the blade is heavy, which also points to Shinto. As you point out, it seems to be thinned from polishing, so it must have really been a beast when new. Some of the later generations of Kunikane school kaji had pointier iriyamagata nakagojiri like mine; my working hypothesis was this was a unsigned student sword destined for the armory. :dunno: I might take this with me next month and show it to Bob Benson, if he is available.

• 6 months later...

More photo experiments; still no luck capturing the masame, which run like bright lines in the ha, ji, and shinogiji. At a certain angle of light, it is very apparent to the eye; also, some nijuba and other hataraki show discreetly.

post-1752-0-95888700-1573515652_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-09940300-1573515683_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-34052400-1573515713_thumb.jpg

Like Peter and Jeremiah, I am leaning toward earlier than i originally thought, perhaps late Koto or early Shinto....or, another theory being something even earlier like a  katateuchi cut down for wakizashi use, done early enough that the nakago was altered to make it look original?

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..