Possible Tadayoshi

69NINJA

Hi (name?)

Haven't even checked any shoshin mei yet on this one, but at first overall impression it looks very hesitant and not confident.

Mei should be flowing like you are signing your own signature, and this doesn't give that impression. Maybe I am wrong, but this one doesn't look like someone was fluent..most like they did it slowly while copying a mei. Am I way off base?

Brian

Yeah, it doesn't look good. In all of the texts on Hizen smiths I have, I haven't seen such hesitant and sloppy chiselling. Even for a gimei it is pretty poor. Just out of curiosity, could you also post some pics of the blade showing hamon, hada, sori etc? Even though I'm almost 100% sure its a fake signature, it always helps to take into account the rest of the blade.

Cheers,

Sorry to continue the negative theme Aaron but the mei is a long way off what I'd expect to see on any mainline Tadayoshi nakago and the 8th gen are generally very neatly cut. (see attached image)

Would also be interested in see images of the whole blade. based on Nakago alone, which is always a bad thing to do I would think this is a gunto.

post-16-14196749408837_thumb.jpg

Again I cant thank you guys enough for your time, I initially posted the following text and pictures on a sword forum that I am a member of (SOM). I will copy my original post from there to here. I will also place a link to the original thread here:

http://swordsofmightforum.com/showthread.php?t=855

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post from SOM forum:

I had a great opportunity today to check out a little piece of history.

I was partying with some frinds last week and got to talking about old weapons, a friend mentioned his dad had an "old a*s sword" said 16th century (we know now the date is way off ) in the basment with all kinds of other old antiques. needless to say the conversation got very exiting for me. sad part is he told me how it had just been stowed for years and at one point they had a small bathroom flood upstairs and it sat in moisture for a few MONTHS!!!!!!

within an hour or so he had called his dad and made plans for me to come over tuesday and grill some steaks have some beers and take any pictures i wanted.

well I finaly made it over there today and they let me at it. didnt care if i took it apart, took pictures, whatever. SWEET!!!! as soon as I saw it I told the father everything about this is WWII but I dont know enough about the actual blade to say if was remounted durring the war or if that was when it was made. hopefully this is where you guys can help..??

now to the good stuff...

definatly seen better days.

SDC10223.jpg

blade was actually better than I was worried about! we gave her some oil and talked about restoration. the rust is ugly though.

SDC10224.jpg

SDC10230.jpg

SDC10225.jpg

SDC10227.jpg

SDC10233.jpg

Bottom. actually has #51 printed??? its upside down cause i suck at photography!

SDC10232.jpg

this was the only mei if any one recognizes anything please let me know. not to mention the silver habaki! you cant really see but it has the diagonal "rain" lines. kind of unusual i would think for a WWII sword.

SDC10230-1.jpg

S1050106.jpg

Aaron

I've seen blades with great names on it in war mounts, I think they were added to the blade to take "in spirit of the name" into battle. It should be keep as is with a clean up of the black stuff and tsuka rewrap as a piece of history.

The sugata doesn't remind me of a WW2 period blade though. Kanbun Shinto maybe?

Looks like a nice blade, possibly antique, and you need to stabilise that rust asap

Hit it with lots of oil and wipe off as much rust as possible. Not sure how much pitting there is, but it won't be good.

Hmm...it belongs somewhere else besides being neglected in a basement.

Brian

Please allow me to express my gratitude for taking the time to share your knowledge and advice on this sword.

I will pass it along to the present owner, and I will try my best to make sure it recieves the historical respect it deserves, Trully authentic or not.

As I said this was my first post here, and it was as as a favor for a friend. I can only hope sometime in the near future I will be able to come here with a piece of my own to share and learn again. Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..