Hozon ko-kinko tsuba description

Ron STL

Just returned from Chicago with a very nice ko-kinko tsuba with Hozon origami. First, I'm trying to determine just what the design is (similar to wisteria) and am thinking this is on the Hozon paper. I read "mokko gata" and "yamagani mu..." but lost after that. Will someone fill in the gaps please. Thanks Ron STL

post-1311-0-58936400-1556743042_thumb.png

post-1311-0-16859400-1556743065_thumb.png

Sukidashibori...was thinking that was in there somewhere. Thanks John. If anyone has any idea on what to call the leaf design, pass it along. My learning process when bringing home a new purchase. RonSTL

Thanks again, John and Steve. I didn't realize this line on the papers referred to description (old dog learning new tricks?). Will post the info here, but will also see what can be found on the Legacy link. Thanks again. Nice ko-kinko tsuba. May include in our KTK catalog for 2020. Always enjoy these early works, especially kinko. RonSTL

post-1311-0-58876300-1556813952_thumb.png

一、is just a counting word, i.e. “one (item),”. 菱実 ryōjitsu is indeed the water chestnut, and after that follows zu (motif) and of course tsuba.

There’s a saying that you can’t harvest water chestnuts without getting your sleeves wet.

• Like 1

post-1311-0-74321900-1556929367_thumb.jpgSearching around Google for "water chestnuts, symbolism in Japan," turned up a number of sites on this, mostly referring to water chestnuts being a food staple in Japan for centuries. So I would say the use of the leaves of a water chestnut would relate to this long history when used on a tsuba like this ko-kinko example. As John pointed out, this particular motif would seem to be the leaves and not the chestnut fruit. I'm satisfied with this explanation, at least it is a likely explanation. Here is just one brief explanation found online. Many thanks to everyone for their help on this, especially the translation of the origami kanji. RonSTL

Chestnut Foods: The Flavor of Autumn in Japan

Chestnuts are a favorite autumn food in Japan. Known as “kuri” in Japanese, they are sometimes is also referred to by the French name of “marron”, particularly when used in Western-style desserts. Chestnuts have been cultivated in the Japan for centuries, with people from as far back as the Jomon period using wood from chestnut trees for their homes.

Ron, kuri (chestnuts) are not ryōjitsu / hishi no mi () (water chestnuts).I also would be surprised if they were chosen as a tsuba motif because of the symbolism of “the long history as a food staple”. I think the Japanese proverb I mentioned above (although for the life of me I can’t remember the exact words) would make more sense: in order to reap the reward, you sometimes have to get your hands dirty (or rather wet, in this case) – no pain, no gain.

But what do I know …  :dunno:

post-12-0-76504400-1556940789_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-30454300-1556940801_thumb.jpg

Thanks for clearing this up, Guido, I failed to realize the different. It definitely makes more sense that the tsuba motif would carry a more "no pain, no gain" symbolism. I did search through Joly's today and found some reference the ryōjitsu / hishi no mi () (water chestnuts) standing for "success" and  "bravery" and such. I have very much enjoyed studying this ko-kinko tsuba since my brief ownership and may use it in our 2020 KTK catalog. As an aside, reading your postings brings back memories of when we first made contact a few "decades" ago. How time flies by! Ron.

RonSTL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..