WTB: High-end tsuba, must have mei, spending 5k-15k USD

terminus

Have you considered commissioning an artist make one?  https://youtu.be/pM0VnL30rDc?t=649

I have actually. The problem is a lot of the more famous modern smiths have work booked till the fall or next year. Also interestingly enough sometimes the complexity of the work in tsubas I'm looking for can cost more now in the present day than buying an antique one. 

What's the pressing need for a signature?

For me, it's not just the extra authenticity, but also some signatures add to the overall aesthetic appeal of the tsuba. Ex. Sekibun or Natsuo or Ford Hallam's sig's look beautiful on a tsuba. 

• Like 1

Agree with you Tony. Have often told Ford his signature is art in itself. Takes skill to move metal and make it looks fluid.

Good point indeed. In fact, I think a thread on this is warranted.

I should also mention high-end tsuba also includes modern tsubas as well. I would definitely love to buy one of Ford's top works. Still looking for an amazing tsuba! (also can be under 5k usd of course) 

Also wanted to add, I'm also partial to high quality dragon motiffs. 

• 1 month later...

Tony,

I applaud your desire to acquire something wonderful.  Although "5K" is not a small sum, I fear your anticipations may exceed your stated purse.  I suggest you take some time to familiarize yourself with the market, don't act in haste, meanwhile you'll be able to add to you "purchase fund".  Best of luck....happy hunting!

-S-

• Like 1

Steve,
His budget is $5K up to $15K, and that is a perfectly realistic budget for something high end.
We are too quick to discuss people's expectations instead of just finding them stuff.
Let's debate less on commercial listings, and just find what they want.

How about turtles?  This one on Tetsugendo appears to have some dragon ancestry.

The Yoshioka school piece is very attractive 

I saw that one on Tetsugendo! I quite like it and contacted the email but he never responded back to my email.

I saw that Yoshioka tsuba as well. It's very nice but not exactly what I'm looking for. I check japaneseart.eu quite often. I really wanted to buy the Goto tsuba they had on there months ago but it was out of my price range. 

Well Tony Y, it's a waiting game. Nihonto is a SLOW pursuit, until it gets crazy for a month or so, then slow again. Hope you find what you seek.

For sure. I'm constantly checking sellers and it also seems some of the best come from Bonhams and Christie auctions. Waiting on the next auction too whenever that is.

Tony/Terminus

Please be very careful with Bonhams and Christie’s auctions for high-end items. Time and again high-end items are gimei but purport to have big makers’ names on them. Do your homework extensively and carefully examine the mei, the workmanship, etc.

Of course, one does come across the genuine artefacts occasionally but these tend to be papered or come with some hakogaki or sayagaki etc

• Like 3

Tony/Terminus

Please be very careful with Bonhams and Christie’s auctions for high-end items. Time and again high-end items are gimei but purport to have big makers’ names on them. Do your homework extensively and carefully examine the mei, the workmanship, etc.

Of course, one does come across the genuine artefacts occasionally but these tend to be papered or come with some hakogaki or sayagaki etc

Thank you. Yes I definitely realize a lot on there can be gimei. I’ve definitely seen some very high work even for gimei tsubas these days. Collecting tsubas is one difficult hobby.

Tony/Terminus

I believe Bob Haynes plucked a very nice Yasuchika tsuba out of Bonhams auction. It is somewhere on the website he has with Elliott Long.

Jeff Olson and the NY team of Bonhams seem to make effort to vet a lot of items to a respectable degree.I find Christies a bit more of a coin toss, though they were the ones to handle the Fittings Museum back when Jeff was with them.

Tony,

You can buy with confidence from the major auction houses.  Be thorough in reading and understanding the catalogue listings and you should be fine.  The language used to describe articles is precise and particular, once you are familiar with the format there should be no confusion.   Also, items sold as BY a certain maker Do have a warranty and CAN be returned if not as represented.  If you are uncertain about a particular piece inquire.

-S-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..