Samurai Katana - fake or real?

Anna-wve

Hi guys, I'm new here and wondering - can you help me! Got a sword from my grandpa, he loved collectibles and had this sword for a long time. Can you tell me if you know - is it real or fake sword? Also, what do these letters mean if someone knows? I'm trying to research but can't find nothing.  I'll be very grateful for any help!

post-4937-0-34350800-1556058685_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-24716900-1556058702_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-83029000-1556058724_thumb.jpg

Anna,

welcome to the board!

The symbols on the blade are usually not found on Japanese blades. They are chiselled upside-down which would not have been done by a Japanese craftsman. They can be read as YAMAMOTO DAI (can't read the last KANJI), but they have no meaning.

So all in all, not a Japanese weapon and certainly not a SAMURAI sword. Items like this are made all over Asia nowadays to deceive unsuspecting buyers.

If you want to have a look in our NMB archives, you will find a lot of very nice (genuine) SAMURAI swords for comparison. Some may be less ornate than yours, but they are authentic and beautiful and sometimes have great value. 

I sincerely hope that you stay interested in this subject and find pleasure in studying it. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..