Nakago mei translation please - Blade opinion?

acoyauh

Hello, forumers.

I have this blade in my shop. I have never seen this kind of etching on a Japanese blade. Maybe if I can identify the author / blade info I can look a bit deeper.

So please, can anyone help me with this mei? Any opinions on the blade also will be very appreciated,

Thank you!

1.jpg

post-4183-0-23951000-1555816276_thumb.jpg

post-4183-0-61326100-1555816290_thumb.jpg

Jean Paul,

the MEI (signature) is written in SOSHO script, which is indeed difficult to read, but our experts won't have a problem with it. The signature is not etched into the NAKAGO, but chiselled.

The blade looks damaged by heavy (incompetent) grinding. I am not sure if the damage is final or if the blade can be saved by a good TOGISHI (Japanese polisher).

• Like 2

A beautiful mei, just divinely elegant.  This doesn't quite look like sousho - is it gyousho???

Ahhh, when in doubt go to google/wikipedia...

So, I'm no wiser as to the Yasutomo katana writing style.  Help a drowning man Steve...

BaZZa.

• Like 2

It looks like someone has taken a Dremmel Tool to the blade to grind in a phony baloney Bonji, most likely to hide a serious flaw.  It looks also like the kissaki has been chipped and reshaped; the boshi is barely hanging on.  Unfortunate but the blade is likely toast (beyond redemption).

Grey

• Like 1

In general: if its hard to read, its probably sōsho. Gyōsho is more legible. 

With sōsho, the form of the kanji has been completely reduced to a cursive shorthand, making it impossible to read unless you have already memorized the shorthand. 

This is a beautifully carved signature. I am a sucker for sōsho on swords. The contrast of the physical labor of carving/chiseling a name in a style that replicates what is normally accomplished with brush and ink is yet another layer of skill and craftsmanship for us to appreciate. Sōsho on swords would make a good thread for another day. I would love to see this sword get repaired to the extent possible, but that is a cost that might not be recovered in resell value. 

The wrapping looks to me like baleen. Maybe Jean can send some more pictures of the handle (and other parts of the sword). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..