Army Sword

Hello. Second post here. I am looking for an entry level Japanese sword. Maybe not realistic but was hoping entry level was around 1500 USD.

Does this sword look any good compared to other guntos, could it be gendai? Does an army sword like this stand any chance of achieving Hozon if submitted? I have seen the page that refers to Kuriyama Kaneaki as a Gendai smith by can't tell if it is his kanji or an apprentices.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Japanese-WWll-Army-officers-sword-in-mountings-Kuriyama-Kaneaki-tassel/362619124194?hash=item546dc8b9e2:g:~RkAAOSw65Bcr-M2

Thank you

I see no indication that the sword is a Gendaito, and he should be taken to task for suggesting it is the way he describes it. His descriptions have been getting more and more deceptive over time.
Save your money, it is at the price for a Showato already. Someone here will offer you something better.

This guy (the eBay lister) is known for selling put-togethers and fraudulent pieces to begin with. If you want to buy a piece that is much more likely to be what you want, watch here and wait for a fellow board member to put one up. You're a lot less likely to be disappointed. It might "cost" more, but you won't get burned with something that is not what it says it is. Being that there's experts here (or what I'd call experts), things that get put up for sale here are seen up close. If you put out for a description of what you want and the price you're wanting to pay in the "Want to Buy" section, you might get a reply; especially if you want a gendaito. Honestly, the best entry level blades are going to be your shinto/shinshinto mumei wakizashis. Yes, they're no signed koto katana, but its far more affordable and allows you to study much of what you need to know to wade out further. Plus the people here are the friendliest on the net, bar none. The sheer amount of knowledge available here is truly staggering at times. :thumbsup:

I have seen two very good gendaito by this smith, one of which I possess. The nakago's look just like the one in Slough's book labeled shoshinmei. The one on Ebay is like the one labeled kazuuchimei. I believe it is not made by the master but by a worker in the shop. The one on Ebay is surely an oil tempered piece of bar-stock Showa-to. Do not waste your money on it.

TomC.

Yes I've been following that seller for a while now and Brian is right, his descriptions are becoming more and more over the top.

Given, that seller does have decent Nihonto here and there but many times, I think, he's getting rid of things that maybe a relative or someone in Japan couldn't paper. So you just have to make sure you ask questions and examine pics closely (but his pics are usually dark and not to close)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..