What menuki would you like to get your hands on?

It's interesting. I find Menuki to be most often obfuscated by the wrappings of the Tsuka. It feels symbolically in contradiction to the Goto ranking of Menuki as the King of Tosugu. Somehow, as of now, Menuki do not rank higher than the other pieces in my own personal preference. 

However, if I valued these pieces to the degree that they are valued by the market, I would get the most classic and archetypal Goto dragon menuki, preferably from an older generation. This for me epitomizes the Goto tradition. Preferably large ones, too. 

Chris - the early Goto menuki (Yujo to Joshin) were mostly placed on aikuchi koshirae therefore no wrap involved.  This is also why they used inyokan posts which acted as mekugi.  When studying very old tanto you will sometimes see a mekugi ana in the middle of the nakago.  This was to accommodate this type of menuki.  When you see rectangular posts those were for wrapped tsuka.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I collect iron menuki. I was really tempted by the Natsuo set that Darcy had for sale a while ago.

Me too!!! That is a fantastic set, and I use it as my avatar. FAR from cheap, but the chance to own a Natsuo that is right from his sketchbook is always going to carry a heavy price. I also love this set of swallows from Ichijo.

post-4292-0-30846600-1568342256_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..