Looking for a nice (100 plus years old) jewelry box

barnejp

Hi Greg,

I have a few "in storage", but at the same time sorry for what is going to be a long and too "professorial" reply - I don't know what exactly you mean by jewelry box. There were western-sized silver and pewter ones made from Meiji era onwards, but they are not traditional. 

In my opinion, the old ones from dowry set will kind of be either cosmetics/medicine storage (very small to smaller) to confetti/candy and other uses (larger), with sort of "jewelry" size not really well matched by either.

The closest I could find (since well it is only part traditional) is this Meiji piece. Its 3 inch and 3 quarters or more precisely about 9.7cm long. Makie, mother of pearl.

350$+shipping.

Sorry did not clean some of the fingerprints, should be more careful on my end before taking pictures. 

The issue with Meiji pieces I guess is that this one is stored in humidity controlled warehouse, where the setting is at 35% level, which is kind of low for them, hence the warpage. The older pieces typically don't care as much since they are made from 100+ years long dried wood and can tolerate 10-100% humidity as long as it does not change very fast.

New pieces from decent companies like Kyoto elephant will be made from cheap Chinese wood, but they are not single piece but glued rather cleverly so the warping is far less pronounced. The new ones from second tier companies will likely blow up if taken from humid street into low humidity storage.

This one warps a lot but does not break and if your home is about 55% humidity within a year it will start dewarping. Just got to be careful not to clean it with too much water during this time.

Sincerely yours,

Kirill R.

post-2253-0-50420300-1555017081_thumb.jpg

post-2253-0-38964700-1555017123_thumb.jpg

post-2253-0-08744300-1555017133_thumb.jpg

Archived