might this be authentic?

Came across this sword that is supposed to be a vet bring back but seems to be in entirely too good of shape to have been sitting in a closet for 70 years. Any thoughts would be appreciated but of course given the pictures I know there can't be much to go on.

post-4776-0-23332900-1554761532_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-02782500-1554761656_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-71441200-1554761731_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-71728300-1554761793_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-03832200-1554761852_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-58055100-1554761919_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My wonder is how much value you can gamble on it given of course it is a nice looking blade but the signature not being authenticated in all makes me nervous.... I imagine if it is authentic it is worth more than my truck but the mumei version Maybe a couple thousand?

From the few out of focus pictures the blade seems quite nice. But lot better pictures of the blade and the signature would be needed to say anything of value.

The reason for offset mei is most likely that there was not enough room in the tang originally. This happens often with long signatures. I believe this has originally had a short nakago that was popular during the era and it has later been machi okuri by a large margin.

There is a lot of variance even in authentic Yosozaemon asking prices. Top items go for top dollars and good ones for good prices. You can type 備前国住長船与三左衛門尉祐定 in google and see Japanese dealers for examples and comparison mei.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its a nice blade, if you want it, offer the seller $800 and see what his/her reaction is. Then go from there. Respectfully mention Its out of polish, missing koshirae, has some chips and scratches, you'll need to invest allot of money after purchase etc... See if there is room for negotiations. Im not telling you to try and lowball or scam/rip off, but start low and settle for what you feel is reasonable.

Hey, you can only try but I wouldn't spend more than 1k to1.5k as it stands. Its a tad bit out of polish and it looks promising, so I would expect a polish to follow shortly after purchase. Say you get it for 1k$. A polish will cost another >$1k (or more if removing Gimei), as well as new shirasaya cost (if needed) so by the end of it, even if you do get this blade for a decent price, at the end, you'll be in over 2k$ to 3k$ or more. Then there's the cost of a new koshirae if wanted. The money never stops in this hobby

Of if you want it as is, make a low offer and be done with it(its really not too far out of polish at least). Or walk away. I say this with the utmost respect, so you don't over pay for a piece thats possibly Gimei

I appreciate the replies and the advice. I imagine with this signature translation it will likely go for more than I care to spend on it. If a $1000 will get it I will buy it but it is actually at auction on May 10th so I assume it is going to go for a fare share. Going to hold out for a World War II sword with an old or mystery blade.. Speaking of which I have found a few lately at small auction houses relatively locally that are legitimately afraid of taking the handle off. Seem in no way knowledgeable about these swords and have fears of hurting the blade.. of course I know that is silly but I'm wondering if that is something you guys encounter from time to time? How much to gamble on something unknown?

It is a very strange blade in many aspects. The condition of nakago is not a good fit for Muromachi, it looks later. The shape which is quite straight and has pronounced fumbari almost looks Keian to Manji, but it lacks typical shinto suguha in boshi. The signature is a decent match but the writing is somewhat weak, though hard to say with just these photos.

Personal opinion it is gimei.

Kirill R.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..