Menuki-Kashira recommendations based on existing Fuchi

jdelayknee

Hi

I have an existing post re my father's WW2 swords http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/28254post-4880-0-20796800-1554730021_thumb.jpg-these-are-my-2-swords-introduction-and-test/  

This post is intended to focus on recommendations for parts I am missing and guidance on specific factors associated with repair of the Tsuka for K1, the first of my 2 swords I want to get presentable for  family legacy purposes.

I am in contact with a few folks and entities that do this work, including some Nihonto Board members.  Just about all of them have advised me to shop around for the parts I am missing:  Menuki and kashira.  The abundance of choices and my desire to remain faithful to the original swordsmith is a significant challenge for me.  Maybe you can help with some specific suggestions.

The attached picture shows the tsuba and fuchi.  I'd like to keep those colors consistent.

I'm also thinking the ito should be black silk, matte finish, with the diamond pattern wrap. The lacquer use does not appeal to me but I'm open if there are tradition or aesthetic dimensions I am overlooking.

I am still in the discussion phase on choosing a craftsman for the repair.  Please keep input to this post neutral and focused on the design/parts and not who should do the work.  I asked for recommendations for the craftsman on my original post.  You can see inputs there and weigh in if you choose. Or PM me 

Thanks again for all the help I have received from this forum.  This is a great resource.

JerryD

Belmont, NC

Dear Jerry,

Your Tsuba depicts the legend of Kanshin (Han Xin in Chinese). Kanshin was a famous general during the Han Dynasty. To many Japanese, he is the model of humility and restraint because of an incident from his youth. Even though he was very skilled with a sword, when a ruffian called him a coward in the marketplace, Kanshin restrained himself. He even endured the humiliation of crawling between the bully's legs (a common form of hazing or bullying in China/Japan at the time) when he could have easily drawn his sword and killed the man instead. He is often depicted on kodogu and other Japanese art in the process of crawling towards the bully's open legs (see picture below).  Your Fuchi appears to be a shishi (lion dog).  They come best in pairs or with a Botan (Peony).  The combination of lion dogs (shishi) and peonies (Botan) is a popular motif in Japanese art (see my Avatar). You can search Shishi Mai (lion dog dance) or Shishi Botan for more information.  The combination symbolizes bravery and elegance and represents the spirit of the Samurai. Legend says that the lion dogs loved to eat these flowers so they are often seen together. In addition, the peony is considered the "Queen of Flowers" and the shishi is considered the "King of Beasts" so the combination is also a good yin/yang. There is also the legend of Shakkyo and Monju Bosatsu which has a shishi that prances around a peony (that's why you often see the shishi dancing around a peony on larger surfaces like tsuba).  Therefore, I believe the theme of your sword is restrained courage, and I would follow that theme in choosing your other parts.  For example, I'd get a Botan (Peony) (with or without a Shishi) for the Kashira, and I'd do the same for the menuki.

post-852-0-36010900-1554732735_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

Dear Jerry.

Since your search for a comparable peony kashira will likely be a long one there is another option to consider, have a look here,   https://www.aoijapan.com/img/sword/2015/15965koshirae.jpg   (Click on the image to enlarge it.)

A plain black horn kashira would be much simpler to source and would finish your sword out very nicely.

I am sure that I am not alone in asking to see the work when you have completed this project.

All the best.

• Like 1

I would go with buffalo horn kashira as Geraint suggested, some members might say it's the lazy shortcut option, but keeping in mind the good quality of the tsuba and fuchi it would look quite nice, and at the same time, it would be a way to keep the tsuka more original than trying to find something that fits from a different maker

Horn would be OK but not ideal; it would be obvious to anyone who knows Nihonto that the kashira is lost/has been replaced.  Some orphan fuchi work well with horn kashira; I don't think this is one of them.  Since there is slight chance of finding an orphan kashira to match, let me suggest replacing both with a different fuchi/kashira.  I think this is the better option.

Grey

Dear Jerry,

In addition to the good suggestions mentioned by my colleagues above, if you want to stay as true to your Father's sword as possible, you might also consider having one of the tosogu artists on this Board make a new kashira that would match the original fuchi.  For me, I'd either do that or search for an orphan kashira with a shishi (I've seen several over the past few years) or a peony.  Some people enjoy the search and feel a great sense of accomplishment when they find something that works.

Horn would be OK but not ideal; it would be obvious to anyone who knows Nihonto that the kashira is lost/has been replaced.  Some orphan fuchi work well with horn kashira; I don't think this is one of them.  Since there is slight chance of finding an orphan kashira to match, let me suggest replacing both with a different fuchi/kashira.  I think this is the better option.

Grey

I think that's the idea, as with the technic tratteggio used on paintings, where you would complete the piece, but it would be clear the original kashira is missing, i encouraged this as an option to ''keep the sword as true as possible'', as you wouldn't use a mismatched fitting (in case of an orphan kashira) and you would conservate the original fuchi (in case of replacing both fuchi and kashira)

I think that's the idea, as with the technic tratteggio used on paintings, where you would complete the piece, but it would be clear the original kashira is missing, i encouraged this as an option to ''keep the sword as true as possible'', as you wouldn't use a mismatched fitting (in case of an orphan kashira) and you would conservate the original fuchi (in case of replacing both fuchi and kashira)

Following your reasoning a plain metal kashira of similar color would be the apt choice.  Horn kashira are only used with Banzashi style koshirae, use with anything else is completely inappropriate.

-S-

• Like 2

Dear Jerry,

I did a quick search for orphan Botan (peony) kashira on Yahoo Japan and found this one.  I think that it would be a reasonable match if the flowers were fire gilded.  You could probably have one of our Board tosogu artists gild this for a very reasonable price.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j406367449

post-852-0-30120500-1554779406_thumb.png

post-852-0-43606200-1554779423_thumb.png

• Like 1

Dear Jerry,

I did a quick search for orphan Botan (peony) kashira on Yahoo Japan and found this one.  I think that it would be a reasonable match if the flowers were fire gilded.  You could probably have one of our Board tosogu artists gild this for a very reasonable price.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j406367449

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-04-08 at 11.09.29 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-04-08 at 11.09.10 PM.png

I think that would look really good!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..