artillery swords

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but could you give a picture of what you mean? I'm aware the Otsu model of the Type 32 was considered for infantry and artillery personnel, but I don't recall other types that were called "artillery swords." But it's not an area I've studied at depth. And the 32 was not made of brass.

Thank you All!,

It is always interesting for me to discover the margins of sword knowledge/interest on the NMB. I asked this question because a friend had asked me essentially the same question (You can guess why he asked....). I have seen some of these  blades and I appreciated the opportunity to get out Jim Dawson's Cyclopedia (what a nice book!). I truly believe that we ALL ought own a copy of this book.

Japanese sword collecting is a social activity. We learn how to collect. And we follow cultural patterns when we do. This case makes it look like brass handled artillery swords are 1) unusual and 2) odd enough to be below our radar screen.It also once again points to a tension within our hobby between "art" and "militaria."

Thank you all, once again, for helping me enjoyed Japanese blades - - of lots of different types

Peter

• Like 1

Bruce,

Indeed, I follow the NMB closely enough to know that folks here are seriously interested things other than "artistically created"  or "ancient objects". In fact I have a small piece coming out in the next JSSUS NL on katchushi tsuba. In it, I try to argue that some/many  of the pre-Edo era tsuba that we can still find were so plainly and uniformly produced that they may NOT deserve to be assessed as "ornaments" or "art." They may be well-crafted and legitimate weaponry. And in that case, treating them like "militaria" seems fair.

Peter

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..