What blades are Members interested in buying?

Well, I am full of admiration for those who know exactly what they want. Perhaps that is the safest position to take as then you do not have to buy anything for a long, long time.

This thread has been enlightening for a number of reasons, the first of which was to discover the broad range of tastes and the depth of knowledge here. Plus in many cases a personal remit or philosophy. Hardly anyone has overlapped.

My own path has been one of serendipity, buying only when the opportunity and inspiration take me. This is because I knew I could never afford a top quality sword through the regular channels. What has been interesting is noticing the inspiration bubbling up inside myself. It must have been somewhere down there while I was admiring swords in exhibitions, but hiding in the subconscious. Then one day a blade will appear from some unusual angle and something switches on inside me.

Naturally I have been blindsided several times, usually by a sword with beautiful ji and hamon patterns plus a familiar Mei, and having to make a spot decision, which later I sometimes regretted. This has forced me into making some personal rules to override the serendipity. In fact I was thinking about starting a thread of Horror Stories for those who have been rolled over a barrel in unusual ways, to mix metaphors.

Back on topic, I would like to own a long-name gorgeous Yosozaemon Sukesada katana, mounted and papered. "In your dreams" perhaps, but that is what this thread is about. A (Ho) Norimitsu would be nice. The name Yasufusa attracts me, if possible the one that Togo Heihachiro wore throughout the Battle of Tsushima. 

An acquaintance owns a Tensho 9 Harumitsu tanto made for poor Shimizu Muneharu who committed seppuku in a boat in front of Hideyoshi at the water siege of Takamatsu Castle. I would like him to give me this tanto. And I am attracted to the early Yamato school, oh, and Bakumatsu Bizen Yokoyama Suke-smiths like Sukekane. There is a fabulous 1867 Sukekane Hoko that I would like to make 'my precious' for a while...

Gollum

• Like 4

I'm with Curran. I got to view a Sadamune wakizashi that just blew me away!

The NYC members kept talking about a hypnotic Sadamune tanto at the MET exhibit, which I never got to see.

PaulB's mentioning of such a Yukimitsu tanto certainly has my ears. I've seen one or two that were nigh perfection, and imagined one out there that would be that perfection in a small space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..