Restoring Sayagaki

BIG

Hi all, Kanzan sensei's 51 year old sayagaki lost some kanji ink. Barry's article gives advice, but are there any other possible solutions; thought about a Japanese calligrapher in Germany/Europe. Opinions...

http://naippe.fm.usp.br/arquivos/hobby/Restoring%20Armour%20and%20Swords%20–%20Contrasting%20Points%20of%20View%20Part%20C_CAPA.pdf

Best

• Like 1

Thoughtful article.  If a swords saya needs restoration, for structural reasons, that will impact negatively upon a pertinent inscription, and or patina....I would opt for a new saya and preserve the sayagaki as is.   For me, the cost of a new saya is a small price to pay in order to preserve a swords history.

-S-

• Like 2

Hi Steven, yes. Markus translate it and had problems to read some kanji's. So a new saya would not save Kanzan sensei thoughts for the next years. Do not want to ship the long way..

Best

• Like 1

If I understand your comment correctly about utilizing a Japanese calligrapher in Europe, my thoughts are that a retouched sayagaki will always be found questionable. Both its authenticity may be doubted later and it would no longer fully be the work of Kanzan. I would preserve the sayagaki as is. As Steve mentions above, a new shirasaya is a good choice. It seems that we occasionally see important swords with new shirasaya, alongside older ones having valuable sayagaki, and containing a tsunagi. If you are concerned about the Kanzan / Naotane sayagaki degrading further, that would be my same recommendation.

• Like 7

Good decision Peter, but I suspect you would have come to the same thought on your own, with a fine sword we are obligated to execute our stewardship in a responsible manner.  One additional thought, anyone fortunate enough to have a fine sayagaki/hakogaki should document it with good quality photos.

-S-

• Like 1

Im Zweifel, einfach eine neue Shriasaya machen lassen und die alte als Dokument bewahren. Aber niemals, unter  keinem Umstand  an der Kalligraphie  herumfummeln. Auch nicht von einem  Profi.Warum ? Es gibt z.:B  zu viele  gefälschte Sayagaki. Also lieber alt und echt , als den den Nimbus der Fälschung durch  Auffrischung. 

Gruß

Stefan

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..