Hizen sword

IJASWORDS

Hi Neil, the only oshigata of this smith that I have come across are in Marcus Sesko's excellent book Shinto Meikan ..Have a look at those or I can send you a copy .. It is of concern that the mei is Katana mei on a Hizen sword, unless the blade is a wakizashi .When are you visiting Victoria ?

Ian Brooks

Guest Rayhan

There are a few Hizen swords appearing with Katana mei on longer swords but if there more pictures to establish if it is a katana or wakizashi it would be a great start. :)

Well, I have a katana from a meikan more signed, katana mei “Hizen Kuni Takayuki”. Since the guy is unknown, I don’t see the point of faking the signature. Long katana, 76.6 cm, Genroku Shinto sugata (I think).

I’ve already seen some katana made in another area of Japan, katana mei, with the “Hizen Kuni something”. So I wonder if, at some later point, it wasn’t an honorary title. I think I saw that katana in Markus’s Nihon Shinto Shi, so that must have been legit.

• Like 1

Hironaga later signed Masanaga  (Bitchu no daijo); If works of Hironaga seems very rare, there are some signed Masanaga which are tachi mei, so we can expect Hironaga signed tachi mei too. 

Besides tachimei , yasuri should be horizontal..

Tom D.

No. 

https://www.token-net.com/token/201809-60.html

• Like 1

Guest Rayhan

The sword i mentioned is on a dealers site and has THozon, but that sword does worry me from an Edo Hizen perspective, but i digress.

The sword in question here has some steady points, mid to late Edo suguta might explain the lesser known Smith, the mei is cut less eloquently than usual Hizen mei, it is katana mei as a concern but as i said some are popping up, the boshi is not very clear but it worries me, the shape of the nakago is not the usual Hizen nakago, it is suguha which was a regular hamon in Hizen but in many other Edo schools.

Someone mentioned a reference page for this smith, any link to that?

Guest Rayhan

We should not automatically assume gimei but it should be cause for much more research. For Hizen blades i would suggest first writing to the following people directly with your query (this one or the next)

1) Roger Robertshaw hizento.net

2) Darcy Brockbank yuhindo.com

3) Paul Bowman Token Society of Great Britain

It is important to note that the Hizen school was one of the largest schools ever conceived during the Edo period so there were smiths more highly regarded than others and some we may not know. Markus Sesko has many books on the mainline and sub lines of generations where Robertshaw is great for mainline study. Get the documents on the smith, check his mei and evaluate, send your research with your queries to the experts.

The faster way but more costly is sending the sword to shinsa for basic Hozon papers. It will cost you import, shinsa fee and shipping back to you, all in all around 650 USD minimum. And if it fails Hozon, well, lemons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..