Nihonto treasures found in the U.S: Wet my whistle!

Tom Darling

After seeing Jussi great Tachi, it "resonated with me" wondering how many Koto Nihonto Treasures have been found in the last 20 years in U.S.  A list of makers would be desirable to our precious hobby. If you have known of any, lets put it on the list. I know of one sword that is not on any list,

The Kusangi-no-tsurugi. Only pertaining to koto blades.  "the ball is in your court".  Thank you very much.

Tom D.

• Like 1

The book/booklet MEITO IN NORTH AMERICA had an important find in a signed and dated Koto sword.  I've lent my copy but I particularly renumber this in the early 2000s.  It was described as the (then) "find of the century".

BaZZa.

If we are just considering outstanding swords (but not necessarily known and famous before the war), then there would be lots to talk about.  On another thread right now, there is what appears to be a Ko Bizen Ichimonji blade that just came out of the woodwork.  There have been a couple Norishige swords that turned up too.  

• Like 1

Hi Bazza, yes, that would be a start to illuminate  the maker and period of the "find of the century". No they don't have to be Kohukos, Fred W. Akihiro would be one. Jussi tachi would qualify. ,Dr. Compton's Kunimune, I refer, to of course, to extraordinary (treasures) Koto Nihontos. "Great Finds", Most likely, up to the Namboku period. Yes, Ichimonji, and Norishige, would be news, Thank you Robert.

Tom D.

My first sword is no Japanese national treasure but it was for me. I paid $10 for it sight unseen and sent it off for polish and papers six years later. It came back with juyo papers and an attribution to the Ichimonji school (mid Kamakura). I still enjoy it 20+ years later.

Shannon Hogg

• Like 12

The Nagasaki was approximately 29” or 73 cm. The sori is 2.4 cm. The hamon is choji midare with onti utsuri. The nakago is ubu. It most closely resembles the work of Moriiye of the Hatakeda school and Kajihara gave an attribution to him at a Shinsa a long time ago. The NBTHK juyo papers just stated Ichimonji. I don’t have any photos with me but I’ll post some tonight if you like. I plan on having professional photos made and post them to this site as a reference to anyone interested. If there is another place where photos could be posted for study or reference I think it would be useful.

• Like 2

My first sword is no Japanese national treasure but it was for me. I paid $10 for it sight unseen and sent it off for polish and papers six years later. It came back with juyo papers and an attribution to the Ichimonji school (mid Kamakura). I still enjoy it 20+ years later.

Shannon Hogg

Was it mumei? Would you happen to have any pics? I love Ichimonji!

EDIT: Just read your last post, looking forward to pics!

• 1 month later...

There is kawazuko choji and tobiyaki in the hamon. The tachi closely fits the description Albert Yamanaka gave for the work of Moriie and I did get a shinsa attribution to Moriie from Kajihara years ago. The NBTHK shinsa was simply to the Ichimonji School but I’m very happy with that. I will work at getting better photos and I will be getting professional photo word done in the future.

Shannon Hogg

Looks like a really beautiful sword. Eager to see more. Why don’t you just upload them from your computer directly to the board. That’s easier to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..