More Gold Fun!

Found these yesterday. Had a price tag of 500$, didn't sell. Today they're re-listed as an auction.

Considering 2019 is the year of the pig/boar, these would make a nice addition for a current/future Koshirae build or as an addition to a collection. Only problem is... are they real? Plated? New posing as old? Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to see how much they sell for as the seller states they're "solid gold".

I'm not claiming they're real gold or authentic, nor am I interested or searched this sellers other items, I'm only sharing the link for anyone who's interested or wants to critique.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133006621114

post-4634-0-62151000-1553907230_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

No, I have zero interest in these boars. Only posted because I thought it was funny how my tanto thread got so "popular" in regards to gold Menuki. I found these on accident and thought we could get some good discussion out of it.

But fear not! I don't find these attractive, detailed or intriguing. I agree that they're really thin and lack any kind of detail. But maybe someone else might, not I..lol

Thanks for Darcys info! I don't know if I've looked at his website or not but I'm constantly online and in the last few months have probably examined (online) quite a few Menuki. Would u happen to have a link?

• Like 1

No, I have zero interest in these boars. Only posted because I thought it was funny how my tanto thread got so "popular" in regards to gold Menuki. I found these on accident and thought we could get some good discussion out of it.

But fear not! I don't find these attractive, detailed or intriguing. I agree that they're really thin and lack any kind of detail. But maybe someone else might, not I..lol

Thanks for Darcys info! I don't know if I've looked at his website or not but I'm constantly online and in the last few months have probably examined (online) quite a few Menuki. Would u happen to have a link?

Yuhindo

Ahhh yes, I know that website well. He has allot of great, early Nihonto and high end fittings.

Well to keep the theme of the thread going, here's another auction. This one is a bit better but I'm 50/50 on the F/K and Menuki being gold. Menuki look brass and F/K the same, although seller does list the F/K as "silver with gold plate" while the Menuki are listed as gold. The saya and tsuba are really nice tho. It has "whales beard" tsuka wrap. Baelleen(so?) I think its called?

Over all this one is decent IMO. It houses a nice Edo tanto

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133006643530

post-4634-0-99809800-1553963865_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-17556100-1553963873_thumb.jpg

Dwain, I see nothing of quality in those fittings. I truly implore you to look at the reference I posted and compare them. The difference is night and day.

yeah

I love Yuhindo and wish i could afford many of the items there. That's EXTREMELY high end tho IMO.

Respectfully, for future reference, just because I post something doesn't mean I'm interested or think it's quality. I'm making conversation. I just wanted to throw that out there as a disclaimer ????????

The only thing I like in this listing is the tsuba and saya but I'm not interested in buying it. I like how the maker incorporated the gold leaf flakes into the lacquer. Also, the dragon tsuba reminds me almost of the old Viking or Saxon style. But I agree, other than that, I don't see much there.

I'm also kinda annoyed that so many sellers misrepresent their items, giving other sellers a bad name. Whether this seller is or isn't, I wanted to see if others thought he/she was. The Menuki look bronze.

I would not be surprised if the tsuba was a modern cast <50 years old

Interesting, that's the kind of info I need! I'll look closer then. I was assuming it was late Edo maybe but I agree, it does look kinda new, or in really great condition.

Maybe the maker added the gold leaf in the saya as a way to trick buyers into thinking everything else was gold as well? It's a stretch but the longer I hang around NMB, the more I'm becoming a sceptic. Which is good i guess

Interesting, that's the kind of info I need! I'll look closer then. I was assuming it was late Edo maybe but I agree, it does look kinda new, or in really great condition.

Like I said earlier, it is not worth looking at this tsuba. I would recommend you look at better examples. This thread has some great examples(http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/18592-show-us-your-high-class-tosogu/)

The difference in quality should be immediately apparent.

You're right, it is. Some things scream quality but honestly sometimes I have to look at it for a while to come to any conclusions. But the longer I'm here, the better I get! So thanks for actually taking the time to reply!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..