Original or reconditioned

Trevor

That's a "that depends" kind of question! You will find collectors on both sides of that question. Some prefer to preserve gunto in their current condition, especially if it appears it's condition came from the war and not from a post-war Bubba. Some try to restore gunto to as much of their original glory as possible. I did that with my dad's Mantetsu, but I've left most of my others "as is." Ok, I've added a missing seppa here and there, but nothing more (ok, yes I've added missing sarute and tassels on them all, but nothing more!!!).(Dang, ok, I stripped 2 95s that had horrible post-war paint, and repainted one of them).

So it depends upon what you plan to do with yours - sell or keep and preserve. If selling, don't change anything! If keeping, it's your call. A handle re-wrap can run around $200 and a blade polish from $700 to $2,400 depending upon who does it.

• Like 3

Dear Trevor.

Roger is a great person to be in contact with and will steer you well on this one.  Whatever the outcome of his examination this is a very nice piece and I would suggest you do as little as possible to it with regard to restoration.

As David says it is signed Hizen kuni Tadayoshi but it is also signed tachi mei which all helps toward the school.  If Robert comes back with a positive then you might need to start thinking about polish and papers but for now just a little light oil on that blade and enjoy it.

All the best.

• Like 1

Agree 100% mate.

Will just calm down and

Time will tell.

I may have found a man here in my town I can trust.

Will PM some of the Aussie here for opinions on his work/reputation first.

Thank you all again for your time.

Rgds

Trev

This all reminds me of grandfather's axe.(Its only had 3 handles and 2 heads)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..