Gunto Tsuka thoughts?

Logan09

I bought this Tsuka a while back. Seller failed to tell me it had two mekugi-ana.

Anyways, the "extra" mekugi-ana are plugged with wood(the reverse side mekugi-ana is completely covered by Ito so it must've been done before it was wrapped) I figured it was re-drilled stateside but now I am unsure? Thoughts?

Also, the Ito is silk and is a goldish color(higher end?). It is also wrapped starting with Hineri-Maki and finished with Tsumami-Maki which I have never seen before.

What are your thoughts on this? I figured if this was a screw up they would've at least patched the hole over with Same'

post-613-0-86263800-1553790092_thumb.jpg

post-613-0-02804200-1553790619_thumb.jpg

post-613-0-51538300-1553790946_thumb.jpg

Further, this is an amateur tsukamaki. The refit of this tsuka to another sword was done recently. Loot closely at how the format of tsukamaki changes completely halfway down the tsuka, and how the ito bunches at the kabutogane because the wrap was not planned correctly across the length of the tsuka. The knot is also not properly done.

• Like 3

Hello,

Agree with Chris..Same is very “ clean”...no dust or grime between the nodules,Ito also very clean and bright but the menuki have an aged patina to them..Made up not so long ago would be my guess...On the plus side it’s handy to have in the parts bin..

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Figured something was up with it. Not sure who would've done the re-wrap on it but at least they used hishigami.

As far as it looking really good, it's not all that clean in real life. Photo was touched up a little to show more details.

You will generally only see Tsumami maki or Hira maki in a few variations on Gunto Tsuka:

1: Hineri maki with Tsumami/Hira maki over the Menuki

2: Full Tsumami Maki (rarely on very high quality Shin Gunto)

3: Full Hira maki (common on Kai Gunto)

This definitely looks like a modern refit on a late war Tsuka, the fittings have the low quality casting commonly seen on late war Type 98. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..