Kozuka - Goto School

raaay

If it’s really nekogaki[cat scratch]-yasurime then it’s not Goto. Goto were more about sujikai-yasurime.

Some details tell me it could be Waki-Goto subject to file marks on the back. Nanako looks fine.

Motif is beginning of spring, February, plum tree flowers.

But something is still bugging me about this kozuka. Maybe it’s just color repro on the pic. What is the weight of the kozuka?

Shooting from the hip,  I thought Waki-Goto too.

It is kinda on the edge of that, and might end up getting called 'Kyo-kinko' by the NBTHK.

ie. Not mainline Goto. Somewhere more waki-Goto edge of the knife Kyo(to)-kinko.

ok, thanks to Alex and Curran for your help , I am not sure I have set of scales to hand but, I will take some photos of the ura side and post ASAP which will

confirm the detailing on the back , I may have got it wrong , but the pics should help !

I'm afraid it could be cast, a hamamono. Too light, poorly gilded (looks like painted), pure copper. I didn't want to voice it until I see the ura side.

To tell for sure you need to analyze the details for chisel marks but it could be also hand finished.

And of course, the price you paid could be also a good indicative.

Alex , thanks for your reply  , 

In hand I would say the gold gilding  is just  slightly rubbed on the ura side in areas that have been handled ,  and to me  it looks  gilded  not patinated but I'm no expert ,  I have not attempted to clean any of the crud of the Nanako etc. so it may look better after a light clean .

either way I like the subject mater and design , and the cost , it was a good deal for me as far as I am concerned :)

Is there such a thing as a cast kozuka? Casting such a thin hollow shape is much more difficult than soldering the 2 sides together.  Embossed, possibly, but not cast I think. Anyway, this is easily resolved by looking for the solder lines along the sides and the join area on the koguichi.

Is there such a thing as a cast kozuka? Casting such a thin hollow shape is much more difficult than soldering the 2 sides together.  Embossed, possibly, but not cast I think. Anyway, this is easily resolved by looking for the solder lines along the sides and the join area on the koguichi.

Goto casting molds, menuki, kogai, kozuka...

post-3892-0-30607900-1555071898_thumb.jpg

post-3892-0-09331600-1555071909_thumb.jpg

post-3892-0-41321700-1555071920_thumb.jpg

post-3892-0-60360100-1555071930_thumb.jpg

post-3892-0-73024000-1555071949_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Alex,

these are not casting moulds. Rather they are actually impressions taken from finished pieces as a record of a studios productions. The material is a fine grained white clay.

The darker models are also simply records of finished pieces. In this case a mould was taken, possibly with clay as above, and ward pitch (matsuyani) was pressed in to create the impressions.

• Like 6

Very interesting! Even "back then" they took copies, so to speak, for future study. But Japanese seemed to be ahead of their time anyways.

I mean, man has always tried to keep record but this is of actual jewelry/fittings type work. I would love too learn the history of such things!

• 4 weeks later...

Alex,

these are not casting moulds. Rather they are actually impressions taken from finished pieces as a record of a studios productions. The material is a fine grained white clay.

The darker models are also simply records of finished pieces. In this case a mould was taken, possibly with clay as above, and ward pitch (matsuyani) was pressed in to create the impressions.

Cool! I didn't know that. Thanks.

Though I remember reading somewhere about Goto casting menuki...

And held few cast kozuka, those are really easy to distinguish from a real one when you hold both in hands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..