Vendor Claims From Japanese Market. Chinese Made? Another Kimono?

O-Midare

Looks like he changes his seller name from time to time Ray. One of his clients called him on his Bull in the vendor feedback.

Neutral feedback rating this is a well made chinese reproduction blade not Japanese gendai as described Buyer: e***9

Reply by wblwbl12 (25-Jun-18 12:12):

please show evidence this is Chinese made, also show better sword at such price

Follow-up by e***9 (27-Jul-18 11:22):

please show me that it is Japanese gendai. it resold for less money reproduction

The Japanese Samurai Sword (#232782561148)

I don't think it is a well made blade (and it is not a KIMONO.....). I see WARE and cracks in the YAKIBA. It is never actual production from a Japanese swordsmith. The signature TADAHIRO and the description show that this blade was made to deceive.

Everybody stay away!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think he has the same Smith working for him as Komonjo? They seem eerily similar.

Dwayne, Mike Yamaguchi (Komonjo) is a dealer who lives in Japan part of the year, & in California the rest. He has no one working for him. And the blades I've bought from him have papered.

• Like 2

Dwayne, Mike Yamaguchi (Komonjo) is a dealer who lives in Japan part of the year, & in California the rest. He has no one working for him. And the blades I've bought from him have papered.

That's interesting, everything I have ever heard about komonjo has been negative. He currently has a muramasa tanto up on ebay that is of course at 1st intriguing but I quickly dismissed it given the seller. Surprised to hear the 1st good review of that seller...

• Like 1

He has real stuff thrown in with the other stuff. His mumei stuff is of course your best bet. No gimei. His big names will almost always be gimei, and his newish looking swords will be modern mass produced, either Japanese backyard, Chinese or Thai.

• Like 2

That's interesting, everything I have ever heard about komonjo has been negative. He currently has a muramasa tanto up on ebay that is of course at 1st intriguing but I quickly dismissed it given the seller. Surprised to hear the 1st good review of that seller...

My expirience with Mike Yamaguchi has been nothing but good. I have bought several good swords from hin at very good prices.

• Like 1

This is the first time I have heard a name connected with Kimonjo, for several years now I have only heard negative comments about this eBay seller regarding fakes, forgeries and gimei. Maybe I need to reexamine blades being sold there.

You have to look carefully at Komonjos listing. What you see is what you get. The fact that many people dismiss his auctions, gives the opportunity to get something at a most competitive price.

If Mike list a blade as junk piece for polishing practice you ust be prepared to get exactly what he said: Junk. It can be as bad as junk or it can bet better. If ike lists a Kotetsu with old papers he usually gve sthe gurantee to buy it back if the blades receives new papers ;) As Ken said many of he Mumei blades will papers. Big Names without recent papers should always be regarded as Gimei but you have to do your own study and in case of Gimei have to consider getting it removed. Sometimes it is worth it.

Many years ago I had bought a Rai Kunitoshi blade - of course ist was Gimei. Still it was immediately clear that it was Kamakura Yamato and it papered to this after having had it polished and the signature removed.

Such a process can make sense with an old Koto blade. You might even be looking at a Gimei done by a Gassan smith or Kiyomara or Kajihi or some other well respected smith who did a copy of an old sword ... BUT this is wishfull thinking and dream chasing. So you have to assume the worst ans wil buy according to your knowledge / expirience or mere luck if you lack the first. So buying on eBay always be prepared to loose money - but atleast in a more fun way than buying a lottery ticket ...

Komonjo just flips swords as a conseignor. It is sort of a flea market.. That is he will give you an accurate description and pictures without false claims ,,, if you buy something you get professional shipping and handling.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..