2 Family Mounts Crest Kodogu?

javieryagi

Hello ,

This wakizashi has been in my family for some decades since my father was a nihonto collector. i never finded out the reason why the fuchi on this wakizashi bears 2 familiy crest .

The family crest are from asakura and niwa families. As i know this families were rivals.

Niwa fought in the battle of Anegawa for Oda Nobunaga   against Asakura clan resulting in the total destruction of Asakura Clan. Later Hideyoshi alowed Niwa to become Echizen Daimyo. So they hadn t family ties.

It is clear that this wakizashi is of superb quality.

the fuchi and tsuba was made by Mito Yasutoshi during bakumatsu period.his school specialized in custom high end works with Mons for high class Samurai and merchants for special pieces and commissons.

its has a double pure gold habaki and the blade of 55 cm long or so aprox of superb quality. it look to be from kamakura or nabocucho period.The hamon is straight.

Yet i couldn t find the possible school of this blade.

if someone could help about the double family crest and the possible school of this blade i would apreciate

Thanks you

Javier

post-4840-0-04042300-1552680195_thumb.jpg

post-4840-0-43209300-1552680206_thumb.jpg

post-4840-0-58040500-1552680212_thumb.jpg

post-4840-0-42706900-1552680218_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The kamon may indicate maternal and paternal lineage. Fabulous koshirae BTW.

I would think the blade is a Kamakura naginatanaoshi. A friend had an almost identical Aoe naginatanaoshi juto. I think I can see some utsuri there. Perhaps look at Aoe and Ichimonji as options. Definitely worth going through the process of shinsa in Japan.

• Like 7

Yes! Very high end! I could imagine the hands that passed through over the centuries! Amazing...

Just looking at the Koshirae screams high end. And the blade itself is even more stunning...

I would be very proud to own something like that and having it passed down through the family means so much I would imagine!

My hat is off to you OP! Don't let that one out of your sites! Pass down to your children and instill the importance and heritage of this very unique item.

Javier,

I can only echo the posts before. Furthermore, if I can see utsuri in such a picture, (I rarely can, blade in hand :doh: ) then there must be a "screaming utsuri" on your blade! That should narrow down the options, like Ray already stated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..