7 replies to this topic

#1 Jussi Ekholm

Jussi Ekholm

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 899 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

I was browsing some European sword sellers aside from my regular Japanese site check. Egbert Mezingas site https://www.japanswordart.com/ had a link to upcoming auction of Japanese items. Yes there are some swords & accessories but they didn't really interest me but there was a great collection of books up for sale.

For a moment I thought about trying to bid on lots but as I already have most of the interesting books in there and I've spent more than I should afford on books lately I should pass on this one as if won I'd end up just having multiple copies of very expensive books. But as I know many of these items well I thought I could give tips to members on these books.

https://zeeuwsveilin...nl/Home/Cataloghere is the link to the auction and swords start on page 5, item number 301. The book lots are on page 6, 341,342,343, unfortunately some translations for Japanese source books are in different lots than the original books and some sets are mixed. If someone would be able to land all of the lots that would make a great library.

Lot 341 -

Zusetsu Nihonto Yogo Jiten by Kotoken Kajihara (the english partial translation is in lot 343)

Meihin Katanaezu Shusei by Tanobe Michihiro (the huge book at the bottom limited edition of 600, amazing resource)

Nihonto Zuikan Koto volume (Shinto is in 343)

Yumei Koto Taikan by Iimura

Shinto Taikan by Iimura (2 volumes)

Shinshinto Taikan by Iimura

Lot 342 -

Afu Translated volumes of Nihonto Koza, 5 sword volumes

Lot 343 -

Kanzan Token Koza, 5 volumes set (missing the 6th one)

Showa Daimeito Zufu, (just got this recently and one of the absolute best books to have partial English translation is in the lot too)

Nihon Toko Jiten by Fujishiro (AFU translations are in lot 342)

Nihonto Zuikan Shinto volume (Koto is in 341)

Selected Fine Japanese Swords NBTHK Europe

Osafune Choshi Token Hen (This book of Osafune Smiths would be only one I would be after)

Of course there are also lots of books from Markus Sesko and few editions of Hawleys in the lots.

The price estimates on the books are funny, I think the auction staff didn't even bother to check out the actual value of these books. I think here is a good chance to get your hands on amazing reference material that usually takes years to collect. And of course if fellow NMB member wins the last lot, I might be tempeted to buy that Osafune book. :laughing:

• BIG and Fuuten like this

Jussi Ekholm

#2 christianmalterre

christianmalterre

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

Ups!

some really bargains here.....( not only the books ) :)

i do not know this auction house at all.....but! let´s browse....and maybe see.... :beer:

Thank you Jussi! :thumbsup:

#3 Wim V

Wim V

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

Very nice collection indeed.  Thanks for pointing out Jussi.  Only a shame they don't seem to be in best condition (lots of the spines are quite faded), otherwise I would be really tempted.

Wim V

#4 BIG

BIG

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

Here are the Lots..

https://www.the-sale...bf-aa0301491513

Best
Peter Reusch

Dai ichi - dai man - dai kichi

#5 kissakai

kissakai

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdon

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

Has anyone registered for this auction?

I have registered and it is live on the internet

I would have expected to have given more details or a bidders number but nothing

I didn't want to login, watch the auction then find out I am unable to bid

Auction fees are 28% + 35 euro minimum shipping fees

Grev UK

#6 kissakai

kissakai

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdon

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:25 AM

I wlll hopefully be biding on some of the group tsuba

Are there any tsuba in the groups that a NMB would like to share other than the first one group?

In the other groups there are possibly only one or two tsuba that slightly interest me

I can't see me bidding on the single tsuba lots

Anyone bidding on swords?

Grev UK

#7 kissakai

kissakai

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdon

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Did anyone bid at this auction?

If you watched it what did you think about the prices?

I overbid on an netsuki but it was nice

Tragic as I was only to bid on one group of tsuba

I though I'd won it as it went to next lot but strangely it went back to lot I was bidding on and when trying to bid my curser changed to a cross and was unable to bid

I'd lost it by one bid

Other than that I thought it was fine

One netsuke from Maria Callas did not sell but to be fair it wasn't that good and I suppose it was price higher because of the previous owner

Grev UK

#8 NihontoCollector

NihontoCollector

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationHere and there

Posted Today, 12:32 AM

Yes I did

Prices were overall very low. I was to mean on the books. They went overall very cheap. However I have allready had quite a few of them and was not to eager having to resell those. Still those books went very cheap. I underbid. I don't recall if they sold to the floor or an online bidder? Does anybody remember?

Grev what Tsuba lot did you miss?

Luis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

b.hennick
IPB Skin By Virteq