Carbine

Cannot open pics 1 and 1 for some reason.

Pic 3 is upside down and the end of the barrel and stock are not clear, but we would have to consider whether a regular Sakai long gun has not been cut down for some reason. There may have been four mekugi-ana originally, ie not a cavalry gun; did someone feel the need to add a barrel band for extra safety?

I came to this party late and had no problems opening the images. But I have to agree that this arms looks to me(!) like it has been bobbed off - in a "non-arsenel rework". I recall being is a country antique shop somewhere in Tohoku in the old days and the guy had a couple of front stock sections laying in a box. I asked what they were and he explained that he had cut them off of guns. I asked "why" and his total explanation was "To make them shorter." My conclusion is that Japanese arms modification reflects a variety of forces!

Peter

• Like 2

Cannot open pics 1 and 1 for some reason.

Pic 3 is upside down and the end of the barrel and stock are not clear, but we would have to consider whether a regular Sakai long gun has not been cut down for some reason. There may have been four mekugi-ana originally, ie not a cavalry gun; did someone feel the need to add a barrel band for extra safety?

I agree with you Piers!

There’s another ”hint” to this being a modified long-gun; the Hibasami or Serpentine is too long for such a short matchlock. I always look for a sort of harmony on shorter matchlock carbines and pistols. This one lacks that to some extent. I also agree with Piers that this gun used to have four mekugi pins and that the barrel band was added after the gun had been shorted.

Also, the total length of 99 cm is also very strange for such a model.

Jan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..