5 replies to this topic

#1 Kanenori

Kanenori

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Hi, have a Wak which might have been used by a person working for the goverment, due to Koshirae.

Blade is mumei with a very special Hamon. Anyone recognise region, potential smith/smiths?

Was thinking about Mino due to Hamon but I am not that experienced in this thing.

Blade lenght 31.3 cm

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Krister

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1505.jpg
  • IMG_1484.jpg
  • IMG_1480 (1)_1.jpg
  • IMG_1432 (3).jpg
  • IMG_1453 (1).jpg
  • IMG_1454 (1).jpg

#2 Greg F

Greg F

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:52 AM

Hi Krister,
For members to be able to help you easier you may want to take a pic of full naked blade and of nakago pic too. A close up of the boshi would probably help too.
All the best

Greg
  • Dave R likes this

#3 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

If you are basing the "working for the govt" part on it being covered in kiri mon, that is a false assumption. By those stages of history, fittings like these were unrestricted and a matter of personal taste. I don't think there is anything to be concluded from them.

- Admin -

#4 SteveM

SteveM

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:13 AM

I think its a Kanbun shinto wakizashi - late 1600s. 

I wouldn't guess Mino. I don't know where that hamon comes from, but it doesn't scream Mino to me. 

I don't know what to classify it as; maybe Hako-midare? So perhaps its from Kaga? Or maybe its somebody trying to copy Masamune?

I like the hamon. And the sword looks to be in good shape, so make sure you keep it well maintained. 

Steve M

#5 Kanenori

Kanenori

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

I think its a Kanbun shinto wakizashi - late 1600s. 

I wouldn't guess Mino. I don't know where that hamon comes from, but it doesn't scream Mino to me. 

I don't know what to classify it as; maybe Hako-midare? So perhaps its from Kaga? Or maybe its somebody trying to copy Masamune?

I like the hamon. And the sword looks to be in good shape, so make sure you keep it well maintained. 

Thanks for your answer.

I looked at Mino because I thought the hamon was a kind of Sanbon sugu. I will for sure search further along your thoughts.

Any book/search succestions?

Thanks Krister

#6 16k

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFrance, Burgundy

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for your answer.

I looked at Mino because I thought the hamon was a kind of Sanbon sugu. I will for sure search further along your thoughts.

Any book/search succestions?

Thanks Krister

the usual suspects : the connoisseurs book of Japanese swords and Fact and Fundamentals of Japanese swords

• SteveM likes this
Jean-Pierre, but everybody calls me JP

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wakizashi, shin-shinto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq