Warning Re: Shipping Tsuba Boxes

b.hennick

A tsuba box with tsuba was shipped to me. When it arrived, I noted that the tsuba and box were not separated. When I unpacked the box I saw the tsuba wrapped in bubble wrap, the triangular piece that fits the tsuba ana, two nails sticking up in the box and the rest of the box. Luckily the tsuba was not damaged but it could have been. Please see the photo below and take care when shipping to separate the box and the tsuba. Grey Doffin has pointed this out many times and yet it still occurs.

post-40-0-96236500-1550436929_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There is a better way, replace the tacks with bamboo pegs, or use a different sort of box.  Inform the people you are purchasing from to not ship in box.  The only way to better this situation is through continued repetition, it's a lesson slowly learned but well worth the effort.

-S-

• Like 3

I personally always replace the two nails with two pegs made out of toothpicks.

In the unfortunate case of a strong shock they will brake at the junction between base and peg without any bit of them protruding from the two parts. I did several tests...

The replacement takes about 10-15 minutes per box.

Luca

I had a similar experience some years ago when shipping pieces I was helping a friend to sell. I was mortified when I heard of the problem. There are a large number of lower cost boxes around that are either pinned or stapled in this way and capable of causing considerable damage as demostrated in Grey's graphic illustration.

I got often Tsuba in Box. The god seller who ship them fixes, the Tsuba in the box with a lot of foam. If the box is fixed in bubble wrap too there was no problem. If the Tsuba is not fixed in the box it will ends in damage.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..