Swirl In Boshi/kissaki

Blazeaglory

Hello all

This has been bugging me for a while. I dont know if this is a "hakikake" (I dont think it is) or something else. There does appear to be "brush strokes" further down in the kissaki closer to the yokote but towards the tip/point, you can see something that looks like a swirl or flames.

Im hoping that this might be the key, or one of the keys, (other than shinsa), to find out who made this sword.

Anyways, its interesting to say the least. In person its a crazy blue color with tons of multi colored sparkling elements to the steel.

EDIT: I HAD TO RESIZE THE IMAGES, SO THEY LOOK A LITTLE DISTORTED.

post-4634-0-18928000-1550247856_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-92415400-1550247862_thumb.jpg

Never seen one quite like this. Interesting. Hope we can find some more examples. Here is a hakikake that's more beard like:

attachicon.gif 20180701_182750.jpg

If you look at the pic you posted, in roughly the same spot as mine (close to tip of kissaki), you can barely see a small "swirl" . It isn't as predominate but it almost looks as if it could be the making of one. Or maybe im seeing things?

Here is another pic in different lighting. You can see the quality of iron in this pic as well as get a better idea of an actual hakkikake maybe but the main part is not visible due to flash or angle of light. Pretty neat how these Nihonto change features at different angles and lighting

post-4634-0-78402500-1550271065_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry I can't get enough of this.

Just looking at the different contrasts of different iron from shinogi-ji down and how much skill it took to make that Boshi is just mind blowing.

I used to think the kissaki was reshaped but over all this blade is thin with a high ridge for super sharpness and the blade slowly gets less wide as it gets longer. I think the smith was going for a slender look. But who knows

Here's the best I could do, unaltered. Both sides. But the detail IS STILL MISSING

post-4634-0-63409100-1553529262_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-48417900-1553529651_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dwain,

Looks quite good to me, your photographic skills improve with each post!

-S-

Thanks! It took 2 hours to get that pic. My camera always focuses in back ground no matter what.

I want a non flash pic. Seriously the quality is missing in these pics. Yes you can see the blue hues but without the flash you can see a rainbow of colors. Also on the other side, there is another vague swirl. So its in the iron, not from the quenching.

If you look at it sideways, it looks like a great white shark !

Best I could do non flash

post-4634-0-53261600-1553530794_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You can try this. Have someone hold a business card over the part that you want to focus on. Focus the camera on the card. When sharp, hold the shutter button in place while your helper removes the card. Take the picture. That should do it.

I remember you told me that a bit ago, so I tried it and it "refocuses" for a second then back to the focusing in background.

The extremely annoying thing is, after I press the button for a pic, the camera goes in and out trying to focus and right before it takes the actual pic, it focuses PERFECT and then immediately focuses on the background again the millisecond before it snaps the pic.

It's super frustrating because I can see a beautiful focused pic and I yell, "YES FINALLY!!!" Only to have it take a blurry pic.

It gets to the point where my arms feel like rubber bands from holding for so long...lol

I've also tried every freaking option. The "macro" feature is supposed to focus on close objects in the foreground right at the camera, not focus in background. So Samsung needs to figure it out because every option in the camera does the same exact thing! All I'm asking is that the camera stop looking behind the object.

End rant!

Try the Android app called open camera it is quite good with macro focus

I agree. I've been using it with great results but I think something might have gone screwy. I'm going to reset everything and see if that helps.

I have an Olympus DSLR that I'm going to use but I have to find it. I'll keep you posted

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..