Help Reading The Name And Date On Matchlock Barrel

Tengu1957

This is very interesting.

The wooden carving means "Crafted by Bizen Kichijiyu"

And here's the tricky part...

The character on top means "martial"

I can't really make out the exact characters in the left and right columns. But I know for sure the left column means "The State of Bizen... something" and the right column is a date.

My father's Japanese is better than myself. I'll ask him.

For the nengo:

it is probably Kôkwa 4, with the zodiac addition "Hinoto Hitsuji", a day on the 2. month. But I´m not sure, because in this case, the kanji for year (年) seems to be missing....

The second column starts apparently with "Bizen no Kuni Osafune ju.....

The rest needs some work ;-)

Gary,

As I indicated earlier, this is a very interestingly signed arm. I think it is dated Koka 4, or 1847. And it certainly was made in Bizen Osafune, but I simply can't see much beyond that. We need better images - and even then I bet we will come up pretty dry since gunsmith signatures are not as accessible as swordsmith names.

I am not sure about the big character at the top of the inscription. I think it is the number 2.

Peter

I think you guys got everything that could be gleaned from these photos

備前国長船住横山??藤原?

弘化四丁未二月日

備前吉壽作

Bu

Bizen-kuni Osafune-jū Yokoyama ?? Fujiwara?

Kōka 4, hinoto-hitsuji nigatsu hi

Bizen Kichitoshi ? saku

Unsure of the pronunciation of 吉壽 - it could have several other readings. Jyu is the normal onyomi for 寿(壽), but in a name it will almost always take on a different reading: kaze, tsune, toshi, hide, yoshi, etc... I think in swordmakers or metalworkers we also see toki for a possible reading. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..