Moon In The Clouds Tsuba

Dan tsuba

Hello again all,

I received another tsuba today from Japan.  I am a new collector, and am thrilled by the beauty of the tsuba.  On the advice of the other responses to my first post I ordered Title: Japanese sword-mounts in the collections of Field Museum 1923

Author: Helen Cowen Gunsaulus (wow !! Those books can be expensive !!  I searched around and ordered a reprint of of this book, actually something I can afford !!). 

Anyway, I bought this "moon in the clouds" tsuba on a "E" site for about $80.00 (about the same price I paid for the other tsuba I originally inquired about on this forum).  My question remains the same, "authentic" or "reproduction" (either way, it is beautiful and will be treasured in my new collection).  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your kind consideration and patience.

Dan

post-4858-0-51498700-1550184581_thumb.jpg

post-4858-0-23942000-1550184595_thumb.jpg

post-4858-0-11027700-1550184605_thumb.jpg

post-4858-0-26685600-1550184614_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

A real tsuba, probably late Edo and no tying it to a specific school, in less than desirable condition.  You did well to buy the book; you should buy others and study so you can collect with knowledge.  Attend the sword shows here in The States to see many tsuba of much better quality and ask questions.  Youthful exuberance is fine but should be tempered by experience so you don't end up with a collection of rusted, mediocre pieces.  Study Grasshopper.

Grey

• Like 3

I highly recommend the "Tosogu Classroom" series. Been reading volume 1 at night before bed and have already learned quite a lot!

As for buying tsuba (or swords), some advice: stop buying things for now. After you've done some reading and learned more you might change your mind about the pieces you're shopping for right now and wish you had saved the money so you could afford a nice $500+ tsuba. Not that what you have right now is bad, per se, but it's not great, either.

Also worth noting that if you buy nicer stuff it'll be easier to sell later on if your tastes change. Of course, the big $2,000+ tsuba will take a while to sell...

Thank you Lingonberry for your kind reply.  I really enjoy getting on the "E" site and searching around.  I learn a lot about identifying tsuba and I think I am getting better at spotting a "Chinese" reproductions from an original !!  Actually I am into tsuba as an offshoot from studying karate and other martial arts for about 34 years (started when I was 35 years young !!)  I enjoy the possibility that the items that I purchase (and I will never spend over $130.00 for a tsuba -  I can buy a new tsuba for one of my Iaito from a very reputable Iaito merchant in Japan- the same one I have bought my Iaito from - and yes, I used to compete in Iaido - for anywhere from $65.00 to $130.00).  So for that reason $130.00 is my limit (I know, may not make any sense to you !!).  Also, I am not in the collecting of tsuba to make a profit.  I am in it for the beauty of the piece, whether authentic (or hopefully not !!) reproduction.

Thank you for your time and patience, 

With all due respect,

Dan 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..