Tsuba Signature Help

Curran

Ugh....

this one is killing me. I've spent 90 minutes trying to figure out how to properly read this dillweed artist's name.

He's somebody, since NBTHK gave it Tokubetsu Hozon papers.... but I'm stumped to far on how to read the second character in this name.

I'm not even that interested in the tsuba, but now am at the point where I've got to solve this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Thank you Steve, Mauro, and John.

I greatly appreciate the help on this one, as it defies me. The tsuba work is good enough that I would think it a listed artist, but I cannot find him.

I'm going to give it another day of effort. If I cannot figure it out, I may post the link here.

Normally I don't like to do so since people may be bidding on it. This one has my curiosity up enough that I may just break that personal rule.

Okay-  I finally figured it out.

It is Ikuryushi   Masahide   (H. 03947.0)

I have no idea why the NBTHK papers use the  透

when the tsuba itself uses the more common Hide as we see used in the Haynes index and in names like Omori Teruhide.

I should have just read the tsuba signature first rather than reading the NBTHK papers and the listing.

The papers are from 2016.  Why use a different character on the papers rather than the character on the tsuba?

I'm assuming this is something linguistic above my ability. Or maybe I am missing something more obvious.

This one is annoying enough that I am going to post the related auction:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d345549285

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..