Old Sukashi

vajo

I do not doubt the reliability of auction houses it in general (OK, here was the art fraud about alleged paintings of the “Collection Jäger” at Lempertz several years ago... :glee: ), but no auction house guarantees the correctness of description.

Furthermore we’re talking about auctions out of the 60ies when knowledge and textbooks where far more limited. And a additional letter with a statement is IMO also no expertise.

Florian

There are things to be learned from this thread, so I will leave it up, with a little info redacted by request.
Let's keep the comments to facts or opinions with explanations. Personal feelings are pointless unless there is a way to end this with an expert evaluation, which isn't going to happen.
In other words, let's all chill.

• Like 4

I did not intend to upset any apple carts or talk bad about it.

My first impression was simply that it had age and had been restored once or twice.

When and by whom?    I have no idea who did the work, or what century, other than to say "a long time ago".

I had a tsuba (let us call it a ko-shoami) like this, that I felt had been reworked with gold n silver nunome brocaded added some time in the 1600s.

It had belonged to a very respected collector / shinsa judge. I sold it and it soon resurfaced with Bob Haynes.

I shouldn't have let its evolution bother me so much. Not every tsuba goes into a time capsule after its first round of use.

• Like 1

No worries, no-one did anything wrong. And reading my comment above, when I said "Personal feelings are pointless unless there is a way to end this with an expert evaluation" I meant personal emotions. Personal opinions are always welcome and are seldom pointless. This hobby is mainly about opinions.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..